Salami declared a winner!

Started by asa, September 16, 2006, 09:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asa

I smoked some "salami" today, made using the recipe on the Morton site: http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/recipeex.asp?recipeid=115. It was promptly declared "delicious" and "a winner" by the Ms, who normally wouldn't buy or eat salami from the market. The only change I'd suggest would be to substitute 1-2 teaspoons of your favorite BBQ rub/# of meat instead of the tsp of table salt called for in the recipe. I tried that and it turned out well. Doubled the recipe and used 2# of ground beef, combining ingredients in a kitchenaid stand mixer. Smoked it with 7 maple pucks followed by 4 hickory, because I was doing Canadian bacon at the same time (but only had 7 maple pucks). You could probably do 'em faster by cranking the temp higher - I kept mine < 210 all the way. Took 'em out when the center temp got around 160. Amazing flavor - tasted like you'd expect salami to taste. Highly recommended - we will definitely do this again. Thought I'd post this since I've asked twice whether anyone has tried this recipe and got no positive responses. I'd also be interested in other salami recipes any of you might have tried.

Best regards to all,
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

jaeger

Good Job asa!!!
I have not tried the Morton recipe. I have always used premix from High Mountain or Eastman Outdoors. The nice thing about a recipe like you used, anyone can make it. There is no need to wait for an order to arrive. I would stick with what works and just tweek it like you already have.
Do you have any pics to post of the finished product?

Oldman

Would you say this is like a cotto salami?

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

When you say you followed the Morton's recipe, did you only make your salami 1 1/2" in diameter. I'm putting in a 3" diameter one today along with two pepperoni sticks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smudge

I'd be interested to know how the smoking time would be affected by 1 1/2  inch diameter casings vs 3 inch.

Habanero Smoker

There are no casings with this recipe.

For a comparison, you will have to stay tuned. While smoking the pepperoni, salami and individual meatloaves, I got involve in a home repair project, and a problem in the smoker developed (aluminum foil was involved). I didn't catch it until much latter into the cooking; though the food was salvageable, it wasn't the best. One thing I know I will be adding to the salami recipe is cracked or whole peppercorns.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

asa

Quote from: jaeger on September 16, 2006, 09:48:48 PM
Good Job asa!!!
.................Do you have any pics to post of the finished product?

Thanks jaeger. No, I didn't do any photos. Will try to next time. I did this in between trips and just didn't have the time.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
     And

asa

Quote from: Oldman on September 16, 2006, 10:58:24 PM
Would you say this is like a cotto salami?
No, I don't think so. Looked up cotto on the net and found that it is frequently not smoked, and usually contains pork and garlic, in addition to beef. From recipetips.com: " An uncooked dry sausage that is highly seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar and is most often made of beef and pork. It is a soft or semi-soft air-dried sausage that is not smoked. There are a variety of salamis produced that are pre-cooked and if cooked, are not considered to be a dry sausage."

On the other hand, several other recipes, including one on Emeril's site, call for smoking it.

And from Epicurious: "The name applied to a family of sausages similar to CERVELATS. Both styles are uncooked but safe to eat without heating because they've been preserved by curing. Salamis, however, tend to be more boldly seasoned (particularly with garlic), coarser, drier and, unlike cervelats, rarely smoked. Salamis are usually air-dried and vary in size, shape, seasoning and curing process. Though they're usually made from a mixture of beef and pork, the KOSHER versions are strictly beef. Among the best-known Italian salamis are Genoa (rich, fatty and studded with white peppercorns) and cotto (studded with black peppercorns). The nonpork kosher salamis are cooked and semisoft. Italian-American favorites include Alesandri and Alpino. FRIZZES and PEPPERONI are also salami-type sausages. With the casing uncut, whole dry salamis will keep for several years."

Haven't had time to look into it further. If you're familiar with sausages, Olds, why don't you take a look at the recipe and let us know what it most closely resembles. It seems like a very basic and simple recipe for a cured and smoked beef product. Think next time I'll definitely add some garlic and perhaps some peppercorns. With those ingredients plus my "whoa momma barkaboo rub," maybe I can call it Chapel Hill salami, eh?
     And

asa

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 17, 2006, 03:24:31 AM
When you say you followed the Morton's recipe, did you only make your salami 1 1/2" in diameter. I'm putting in a 3" diameter one today along with two pepperoni sticks.

I think mine were about 2" in diameter. They shrunk down a little with smoking/cooking. I'll be interested to hear how yours turned out. 

Addendum: ---  ooops. Just noticed your subsequent post. Sorry for the mishap. Better luck next time. Let's keep in touch re further experimentation with this food-form.
     And

asa

Quote from: Smudge on September 17, 2006, 06:17:18 PM
I'd be interested to know how the smoking time would be affected by 1 1/2  inch diameter casings vs 3 inch.

Smudge: I didn't use casings - just rolled them out with a technique that Alton Brown has demonstrated on his show. Put a glob of the ground meat mixed with salt and spices onto waxed paper, roll back and forth to get a sort of cylinder, and then put the edge of a baking sheet down on the waxed paper right in front of the roll so that you can pull the free edge (now under your baking sheet) while maintaining pressure in the crease in front of the salami, which is being rolled toward you in the paper. Stop it when you have the cylinder you want, gently reshape the ends with your hands, and then roll up in the paper to store in the fridge overnight. I used this technique because I've never used casings and didn't have the supplies on hand.
     And

Oldman

QuoteOlds, why don't you take a look at the recipe and let us know what it most closely resembles.
Im going to wait until Hab reports on this before I get into it.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

The first batch was in the smoker too long for me to judge the recipe, but I can say that the 3" salami was evenly cook throughout. I'm going to give it another try on Friday, without aluminum foil in the smoker. ;D  but for the next couple of days I'll be smoking chicken thighs, wings, and whole chickens.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

icerat4

Anyone here have pics of this stuff.Thanks ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

MWS

Hab, I'm interested to know how you did your pepperoni. What meat, cure, spices, casings or no casings.  Thanks
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: mws on September 20, 2006, 09:54:07 AM
Hab, I'm interested to know how you did your pepperoni. What meat, cure, spices, casings or no casings.  Thanks

I just followed the recipe on the Morton Salt site (leaving out the liquid smoke). No casings are required for this recipe. As Asa stated it will shrink in diameter after smoking/cooking. You will have to adapt the cooking part for use in the BS.
http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/recipeex.asp?recipeid=46

Other then being some what dehydrated, it did taste like pepperoni, but the texture was not the same. I would suggest adding more red pepper flakes. The salami came out the same way, some what tasting very similar to salami, but a bit salty for my taste. I have to agree with Olds; after searching the web other then a difference in a few ingredients, I would have to classify this as cotto salami, due to the way it is prepared.

Also I did find a smoke cotto salami recipe so I am going to use those smoking/cooking techniques; and the Morton recipe recipe next time. The smoking/cooking procedure was to apply the smoke at 110°F; then gradually raise the cabinet temperature until the internal temperature of the salami is 150°F; (but I figure after smoking at 110°F I might just raise the cabinet temperature to 165°F-185°F). Take it out of the smoker, shower it with cold water until an internal temperature of 120°F-130°F is reach. Allow to dry at room temperature, then refrigerate.

I'll take pictures next time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.