Brisket Flat

Started by David6340, July 28, 2004, 07:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David6340

I purchased a 6.6lb beef brisket flat half boneless (that's how it's labeled)from Sam's Club. It's the only cut of brisket they had. Is this ok for the Bradley? Any suggestions for smoking time and temp would be appreciated.

MallardWacker

David,

Being new to the brisket thing, I beleive this the most desirable piece of the brisket.  What you are missing from the larger brisket cut something called the "point", for lack of better terms, it a large wad of meat at the end that has the grain of the meat running a different direction and has a slab of fat running through the middle between the flat and point.  <font color="red"><b>Is this OK for the Bradley, oh ya!.</b>  </font id="red">The only reason I didn't purchase just the flat was the price.  The butcher cut is much cheaper, but you do have some waste do to the large areas of fat that you will probably want to trim.  Have fun and I HTH.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

I did one of these on my first smoke with new Bradley, and in spite of myself, it came out great.  I used a mustard/spices added - coated and smoked 4 hrs with mesquite until first peek, then moved to second shelf and added 3 racks of ribs for another 4 hours.  One rotation of ribs after 2 hrs.  All of the ribs were barded with bacon. and the top rack dripped down on brisket.  Took brisket out at 180 degrees internal, and let it sit for a couple of hours covered with foil.(have learned new technique-towel/cooler since.

Everything pretty d--- good.  The mesquite left pretty strong taste...next time will use apple of maple.  I have a semi-commercial slicer--cut very thin, tossed in spicy barbecue sauce warmed in microwave and serviced on soft roll with a beer.   It only lasted 2 days.  Definitely will do another.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

David6340

The flat cost me $2.22 lb. Is there any benefit in buying the whole brisket as opposed to just the flat?

David6340

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />I did one of these on my first smoke with new Bradley, and in spite of myself, it came out great.  <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm gonna try and do what you did on Sunday. Do you remember how much your flat weighed? Mine is 7lbs and I'm thinking about 10 hours of total cook time if you allow 1 1/2 hours per pound. I'm going to allow 5 hours for the 2 slabs of ribs. Does that sound right?

ebohatch

I did the exact same brisket 2 weeks ago. I put a dry rub on it. Covered it in foil and let it sit in fridge over nite. I cold smoked it for 2 hours (with hickory) then put it in my gas grill and cooked on low temp (220 to 240) for 5 fours. It just falls apart then. WONDERFUL!!
Only thing is next time I will try to keep it moist, either cover it or spray it.

BigSmoker

ebohatch,
Why did you use a gas grill to cook brisket?[:(]
I have cooked many a brisket in my Bradley with exceptional success.
You control the smoke and temp. just like a gas grill if not better.  I like to cook brisket @190f-210f.  Low and very slow.  Use a polder or mavrick temp probe sit back and enjoy the day.  P.S.
This is MHO.  To keep it moist try coating it with yellow mustard after the rub, it works and leaves no mustard taste.  You can also use a vinegar based mop sauce.  I have never had to use either in the Bradley though.  The smoker will actually have to much moisture inside(water will run out of the bottom)if I don't crack the top vent some.  Happy Smokin'

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
http://devoted.to/bbq
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

David6340   Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  I didn't subscribe to this topic after I posted, and just saw your note.

Mine was about 3.5 pounds, and I did mine at about 170 for 4 hours without a peek, then moved it up, and put in 3 racks of BB ribs.  I took out the brisket when it was about 165-170, and wrapped it up and let it rest for a couple of hours... I can't remember how long it was in.  I went by temp.  The ribs went until about 10 or 11 p.m. on a week night and they were in about 4-5 hours at 175-200 degrees-tired that night and not writing anything down.  

Everything was very tender. I used straight mesquite, and it was pretty intense.  Only thing I would change is using milder wood next time.

Doing a big pork butt next.  Splitting into two 6 lb roasts, and rubbing tonight and will start cooking Tuesday afternoon for Wed. dinner.  Plan on wrapping and putting in cooler for at least 4 hours for a rest after the smoke.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

David6340

Thanks Bill. The brisket came out great. It was moist and very flavorful. Used the foodsaver for what we didn't eat to have for another day.