Can't get to temperature - new and need help

Started by PepperJax, September 22, 2006, 05:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PepperJax

I received my Bradley last week and have used it three times already. The flavor is amazing and I appreciate the recipes posted here.

My problem is I cannot get my 4-rack digital to the temperature designated. Last night I tried to preheat the unit to 200 and it only got to 160 empty after 90 minutes. I smoked some sausage and burgers following the 1 1/2 hours per lb rule. At the end of the cooking, the Bradley still had not hit 200 (got to 180).

All the connections are good and the smoking side works perfect. I am using a medium duty exterior extension that is rated for 15 amps. Any ideas on the problem?

Thanks,

Lee ???

robs

I think somethings wrong, maybe the high-limit cutoff swtich. I would call Bradley and tell them what's up.

good luck.

iceman

Is it an old style? If so make sure the slider is all the way over for pre heating.
If it's a digital well I would have to let others that have one answer this qusetion.
In either case, a call to Bradley is quick, cheap, and most times a cure. ;)

manxman

Got nothing really to add to the other two posts PepperJax other than to say welcome to the forum and hope you get the problem sorted quickly. Have you got any other items on the extension cord? Have you tried plugging it directly into the mains socket just to see if that makes any difference to the temperature?

Let us know what Bradley had to say.
Manxman

MWS

Quote from: manxman on September 22, 2006, 12:29:40 PM
Have you tried plugging it directly into the mains socket just to see if that makes any difference to the temperature?

My guess would be the extension cord. A pal of mine had the same problem till he plugged it directly into the main socket. It worked fine after that. I would follow Manxman's suggestion.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Chez Bubba

How long is the cord? It sounds like it technically meets minimum requirements but might not have the capacity to deliver when the Bradley calls for a full juice load. I use a 10 gauge 16ft with no problems.

Extension cord aside, is there anything else drawing power on the circuit you're plugging into?

Kirk

http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

bubbagump

Quote from: Chez Bubba on September 22, 2006, 04:37:48 PM
How long is the cord? It sounds like it technically meets minimum requirements but might not have the capacity to deliver when the Bradley calls for a full juice load. I use a 10 gauge 16ft with no problems.

When the Bradley calls for full juice, it is still only a meager 4 amps.. A hair dryer will draw 3 times that amount. Your 15 amp. cord is more than adequate for your smoker. Unless, of course it's in bad condition. A very simple way to rule out your cord is to plug your smoker directly into a receptacle without using the extension, if you have the same problem then it's not the cord. Keep in mind that the digital smoker has electronics in it that the original doesn't. If you were having a problem with power you would notice the digital display flickering or fading in and out. My guess is that's it's something internal to the smoker. 

Bubbagump

PepperJax

:D

Thanks for all the help. I got up early today and tried everyone's diagnostic tests. The good news is that the Bradley is working fine.

The bad news is the ****!!! electrician that wired my sunroom screwed up the outlet in my garage. We have a family friend who is a contractor come over this morning. He said that the electrician had not properly rewired some of the circuit breakers and I was lucky the house didn't burn down. Appently PATTERSON HOME IMPROVEMENTS uses sh**ty electrical contractors.

Cost to have friend fix firetrap fuse box: 1 case of Bass Ale and some smoked Habaneros

If ever in Jacksonville come over for some cold beer and some very hot smoked peppers.  :-*

asa

PepperJax -
Glad you caught that in time, and welcome to the forum. Do you by any chance mingle with any of the North to Central Fla bluegrass crowd? If so, email me off line to chat further.
Regards,
     Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

iceman

Quote from: PepperJax on September 23, 2006, 08:51:33 AM
:D
Appently PATTERSON HOME IMPROVEMENTS uses sh**ty electrical contractors.
Hmmmmm............... must be the same idiots that wired my brothers house. It took me two weeks to rewire and get it back to code for him. Sure glad you caught it before any harm came. Smoke on PepperJax ;D

bubbagump

Good news PepperJax. Glad to hear the smoker is fine and your wiring is fixed.  :)

It's hard for me to comprehend how some contractors stay in business......or out of jail.  >:(

Bubbagump

manxman

QuoteHe said that the electrician had not properly rewired some of the circuit breakers and I was lucky the house didn't burn down.

Whilst it is good news about the BS that is seriously not funny...... SOOO glad you got it all sorted with a successful outcome. The alternative does not bear thinking about.

Now you can relax and enjoy your BS! :D
Manxman

West Coast Kansan

Trying to remember, Is this the second time the Bradley Smoker has led to the ID of a serious electrical issue> This one reads like a double lug in the electrical box, i have in my head another miss wire report. 

Great it was worked out before something tragic happened. Welcome!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

TomG

PJax, Just so I can sleep tonight, what specifically was it that prevented your circuits, however they were wired, from being unable to deliver a "meager 4 amps" to your Bradley?  Some how, once and for all,  the extension cord myth has to be busted.  Guys, they're just wires :o :o ;D

owrstrich

i have used an extension cord everytime i have smoked... everytime...

its a big fat 15 footer... everytime...

you gotta eat... everytime...

owrstrich...
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...