Help

Started by Turkeyman, September 24, 2006, 12:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman

I am Smoking about 14 lbs of summer sausage I have had it in the smoker for about 6hrs the meat is a beef/pork mixture the internal temp has been sitting at about 130 for quite awhile. I have been holding the smoker temp at about 158 is this normal for sausage to take that long? I know I have read some of the postings you don't want your smoker temp to go over 160 so the fat wont break down.  Thanks

West Coast Kansan

It seems to me your still on target.  I have noticed a plateau right about the point cooking really starts. What diameter? What internal temp are you wanting - 160? Going to cook more at time of use? You have a nice load with 28 degrees difference between oven and internal temp. Will come up slow as the temp difference decreases. 

I am certainly not the sausage expert but seems your still on track depending on your final intentions - from my limited experience --

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Turkeyman

They are the 1 1/2 lb sticks

robs

If you have 2 rows hanging (back row / front row), make sure you check the temp of one of the back ones - they will get done much quicker. When I do snack sticks, I swap the sticks (2 rows) front to back every couple of hours.

I'm not an expert, I've only done the snack sticks in casings, but my experience sounds similar to yours with the temp. Personaly, I would stick a probe in another stick just to check.

Good luck.

Turkeyman

Thanks you were right the back ones were cooking faster. I have 3 rows so i will be rotating them. I think I am going to look into the fan that the guys are installing I bet you that makes a big differance.

West Coast Kansan

at this point i usually get impatient and bump the tower temp up a lot to raise the internal temp faster.

to get to a 160 internal temp to pull them out you will need additional temperature difference.

discipline is not a strength of mine when it is the time of day i am pretty hungry and ready to eat

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Don't want to render out the sausage, which is why you keep the temp at 160. It does take awhile to bring up the internal temp when doing sausage.

Arcs_n_Sparks

robs

Now don't forget to tell us the results...

Did you use a commercial recipe or your own?