Summer Sausage Question Help

Started by Turkeyman, September 23, 2006, 05:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman

I am using some venison and pork mixture I ran out of hickory to smoke them with and the stores around me are out so I thought about using Maple. Has anyone else smoked Summer Sausage with Maple?

Thanks

iceman

Go easy on the maple, just a bit less than hickory. It's a good flavor but a few degrees up from hickory. Next batch you can always kick it up if need be.

Turkeyman

You say go easy I have 14lbs of sausage so how much maple and how long?

MWS

Quote from: iceman on September 23, 2006, 05:41:15 PM
Go easy on the maple, just a bit less than hickory. It's a good flavor but a few degrees up from hickory. Next batch you can always kick it up if need be.

I thought maple was mid range and hickory is stronger than maple.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Habanero Smoker

Every one's tastes are different, but I also find that maple is "milder" than hickory. I have been using maple more and more on pork and chicken. Now if Bradley would only come out with peach bisquettes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Quote Now if Bradley would only come out with peach briquettes

Naw... citrus is what is lacking....

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

West Coast Kansan

Olds, great idea generator... in the smoker now are scallops with Bacon wrap, scallops with the maple syrup soak someone suggested and the idea you gave we with the citrus comment.

Had three large Oysters - I cut oranges in half and hollowed them out making cuts in the side of the peel so they can spread out as they cook. Layed bacon in the bottom, oyster on top of that, spicy pepper, garlic seasoning, a small amout evoo, and touch of butter on top. The orange peel boat is opening up just like planned. Oyster sitting o the bacon looking proud

Giving them two hours of smoke, alder/ maple alternating. Have been trying to think of things a little different for upcoming wedding. Just goes to show you cant be too careful what you say.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

asa

Wow! Sounds spectacular. Can you send us photos of the oysters in the orange shells??? And please let us know how they turned out.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Turkeyman

Well my Summer sausage did not turn out. I ended up getting pissed off after 13 hours and threw it out.  I came back to the forum and serched everything I could find on summer sausage. I think it did not turn out for a couple of reasons.

1) I don't think that I let the sausage dry enough before smoking  HOW LONG SHOULD IT DRY FOR BEFORE SMOKE

2) I had a pan of water in for the hole time        AM I SUPPOSE TO HAVE A WATER PAN IN THERE ?

3) Not sure about the vent had it open about 1/8" the hole time.       HOW MUCH SHOULD THE VENT BE OPEN?

Now does any of this sound like it was my problem.

I am going to try again this weekend so if you have any ideas that would help me fire away. Thanks