Kummok trout

Started by Dalby Spook, April 07, 2007, 12:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

Hi folks

Did my first batch of trout fillets Kummok style. Tasted great but too dry. These are fillets from 1 1/2 to 2 lb fish so quite thin.
What do you think the minimum cook time I could get away with?  Did these ones 1 hour 120f,  1/12 150f,  1 hour 175f

Cheers
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

LilSmoker

Hi Dalby, i love Kummoks hot smoked salmon, imo it is THE recipe without a doubt, but i've never tried it on trout. I'm sure it would work great with the big trout, but the smaller fish as you say will probably be dry due to being thin.

I did do some small trout a while back with BOUTCH's recipe, it's a very low and slow smoke, i only used the heat from the generator to do the entire smoke, and they came out lovely.

Here's BOUTCH's recipe:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1025.0

Here's the trout i did, only small, but very moist and tasty:

I sat them on their belly's to get smoke into the cavity:

Finished:

Ready to eat:

Great recipe, well worth a try  ;)

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Kummok

Glad to hear that the taste came out okay, Spook! I'm sure that they weren't as dry as my "smoked trout chips" that I made years ago as my first smoke....didn't know ANYTHING about smoking and wanted to be certain that they weren't raw, so  I smoked them for almost 24 hours, getting up in the middle of the night to stoke the wood in the Little Chief smoker. They also tasted good and were quite crunchy but took gallons of porter to quench the thirst :o ;D

As a rule of thumb, I evolved that recipe....brining and smoking times/temps.....for about 1/2 inch (1.27 cm) thickness of meat. If the "saltiness" was okay with you, I wouldn't mess with the brine mix/times for thinner stuff. The dryness should be fixed by lessening the smoking times, especially at the higher temps. For really thin stuff, I'd even try 30@120/30@145/30@165...... I prefer keeping the drying time, aka "pellicle forming" time as necessary to get the good pellicle, then slacken the smoking time.....To me, the reasoning/practice is that "raw" dried fish is still moist, so the smoking time is only what's necessary for taste and proper "hot smoke" food safety....food (smoked, of course!) for thought.... ;)

Kummok

WOW! Ignore previous advice and do whatever LilSmoker says....that's some GREAT looking, moist, trout!

LilSmoker

Quote from: Kummok on April 07, 2007, 01:43:24 PM
WOW! Ignore previous advice and do whatever LilSmoker says....that's some GREAT looking, moist, trout!

Hey thanks Kummok, coming from you that's a big compliment, but as i say the credit goes to BOUTCH for the recipe.

As for your hot smoked salmon, i really don't think it can be bettered, it's a big hit at my place with everybody that's tried it, and i can tell you there have been many triers!

Wildcat

Quote from: Kummok on April 07, 2007, 01:27:39 PM
They also tasted good and were quite crunchy but took gallons of porter to quench the thirst

This is not necessarily a bad thing imo. :D
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Kummok

Quote from: LilSmoker on April 07, 2007, 03:32:58 PM
.....but as i say the credit goes to BOUTCH for the recipe......

He's had some GREAT posts......I haven't heard from him in quite a while....I still want to give his cognac based recipe a try!

LilSmoker

QuoteThis is not necessarily a bad thing imo.

Haha! agreed!  ;)

QuoteHe's had some GREAT posts......I haven't heard from him in quite a while....I still want to give his cognac based recipe a try!

Yeah i think it's probably the language thing?, BOUTCH said in one of his posts that being a French Canadian, and living amongst people that only speak French, it is very difficult to learn English.
Although he had a good try with a translator program and did very well from what i've seen. I know English people that don't speak English that good!, must still of been very frustrating for him though.

I had a similar experience a few years ago being the only English guy amonsgt a group of Dutch people, i used to make them laugh with my attempts at Dutch  ;D anyway some of them have now become great friends with me, so i didn't do too bad  ::) ;D

I bet BOUTCH has some great recipes and stories to share, would be nice if he returned

LilSmoker

Dalby Spook

Thanks for that guys. Plenty of ideas for experimentation there. LS, I'll split the smaller ones like you do. I,m sure that will help them hold more moisture that small fillets and drop the smoke time as per Kummok. Will definately give Boutch's method a spin.

Off out now to catch some more trout.

Cheers
A. Einstien

LilSmoker

QuoteOff out now to catch some more trout.

Tight lines! Dalby!  ;)

Dalby Spook

Just back. 2 rainbows about 2lb apiece. Lost one a bit bigger at the net.
A. Einstien

LilSmoker

Nice! destined for the BS?  ;D

I really must sort out my fishing tackle, haven't been for a while now, there's a stretch of river not far from me that's said to hold some good sized rainbows and brownies, so i'll have to look into that.  ;)