Seafood Weekend and an Idea

Started by West Coast Kansan, September 26, 2006, 10:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k18/WCK_02/

The attached are before,

during ,
after

and finally dinner shots from this last weekend. 

The subjects are the maple syrup soaked scallops (Thunder Fish) and fried bacon wrapped scallops (jim guy), and in the rear is an odd idea that turned out ok.

I cut oranges in half and hollowed them out with two cuts across the peel so it could butterfly out as it got warm. The bottom and inside walls of the orange boat I lined with bacon strips. Put an oyster inside the boat laying on top of the bacon. Sprinkled with spicy pepper, diced onion, garlic seasoning, a drizzle of evoo and I think that was it...

Smoked with alder and maple alternating for 2 1/2 hours with tower set at 200F....... No real orange flavor but they really looked happy when the orange peel opened and they were setting on that cushion of bacon... Now that was a smoked oyster!

(Sorry, got no clue how to control the size of the pictures - hope it works)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Vampyr

That looks really good!  :)  I wish i liked scallops tho so that i could try them.  ;)

icerat4

very nice looking.IM going to give it a try thanks. ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

TomG

Holy smoke WCK, some of those scallops are 2.5" inches across.  Where do you find them in SoCal?  Nice job :)

iceman

Nice work WCK!!! Ann put that on the next to do list after she saw that. :P ;D

Gizmo

Very nice WCK.
TomG, Try Costco on Fridays.  They typically have a seafood road show and have crab, lobster, whole wild Sockeye salmon and large scallops.  Did the Sockeye 2 weekends ago.  Very Tasty.   Will have to do the scallops now...
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Arcs_n_Sparks

WCK,

Very nice. Do you have times and temps on what we are seeing?

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

a-n-s, Total time on the rack was 2 1/2 hours. Went from ambient tower temp of about 75F and food was out of the fridge no longer than it took me to play around with bacon and oranges - so it started cold. This was the only thing in the tower so the digital over / under was pretty minimal (+- 2F). I did stick a probe in a couple of scallops and they were about 145 and other was 150. The oysters were in the back so the orange peel protected them a little from the higher heat. They were done pretty nice - texture and all that.

TomG, Scallops came from VONs (Safeway owned chain of grocery stores). They dont always have them - I have been looking at them the last couple of weeks though and finally broke down. Maybe it is a seasonal thing.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

West Coast Kansan

Hey, It was Thunder Fish that suggested the maple syrup soaked scallops and jimguy suggested the bacon wrapped. Sorry, fixed the origional post!

Thunder Fish

Gizmo

WKC:
I was flying over your house last week and snapped a pic of your house.

Broke out the telephoto lens and saw what you were up to.

Raw bacon wrapped scallops

On the way back saw the Cold Smoked Product

Just couldn't land fast enough to make it over to your house before it was all gone.

Thanks for the inspiration.

West Coast Kansan

Cant take credit for the inspiration but glad you gave them a try.  Hope you enjoyed.  I see those bi planes over the house all the time.  Looks like fun.

Gizmo

The ride is very enjoyable.  The scallops were melt in your mouth delish.
BTW, if you can't find the Tender Quick let me know.  I still have a full 2 lb bag and then some or I can pick some up for you at Major Market if you like.

manxman

Look good WCK, always looking for new ways of doing scallops, both the large King scallops and small Queen (?Bay) scallops we get around here.

Thanks.  :)
Manxman

West Coast Kansan

Are you located near Oyster heaven as well?  Years ago I was responsible for a manufacturing facility in Galway Ireland.  I remember one weekend was an Oyster fest.  I have seen and tasted nothing like it before or since.