Seafood Weekend and an Idea

Started by West Coast Kansan, September 26, 2006, 10:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

manxman

QuoteAre you located near Oyster heaven as well?

Yes, we have Stranford Lough just across the Irish Sea from us in Northern Ireland which is a major oyster growing area.

The waters are Category A rated under European law which by my (limited) understanding  means the oysters can be harvested and eaten without further processing. i.e the sea water is very pure and pollutant free.

All I know is we get these oysters here on the Isle of Man and they are sublime!  ;D  I have a Maori friend, now living back in NZ (unfortunately), and we used to go to the fish shop first thing on a Saturday morning and buy a couple of dozen and just eat them raw, often washed down with guinness!

Still get them from time to time, often do them with garlic which other menbers of the family enjoy more than raw.

Sounds like you have some happy memories of Ireland, Galway is beautiful.

QuoteYou guys are just taunting now.

Sorry owrstrich!!!

Manxman

Gizmo

There is a show in San Diego call "Sam the Cooking Guy".  He is quite interesting to watch as he is unconventional compared to standard cooking shows on the Food Network.  He is broadcasted on a local station and basically grabs things out of the freezer or refrigerator, throws them together and done.  No fuss, no major prep time.  Some around here call it meals any guy could cook.  The other day he grabed some frozen scallops out of the fridge, did a quick thaw, backon wrap and toss on the grill.  He even mentioned and demonstrated the Raw eating method.  Don't think the taste is what I'd prefer as neither would be the product most often available here.  Last time I had a raw scallop was back in 83 when a Navy Diver had just surfaced, clean a few up and offered one up.  Very tasty and this was back before Sushi was the "popular" thing to do.

Owrstrich, let us know the next time your in town, we'll fix you up.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

manxman that is just the way it was - tubs full everywhere, being a meat and potatos midstates guy, - that was my intro to Oysters - cant get enough now - even so those were really special.

Now to eat raw scallop? That would take a whole lot of brew to get down my throat...dont think i could make it happen.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

manxman

QuoteNow to eat raw scallop?

No, I have never tried it.  ;)

I have only seen it once, a well known celebrity seafood chef on this side of the pond called Rick Stein was out on a trawler scallop fishing and picked one straight out of the drag and ate it as if it was an everyday event.

Occasionally we drop a diver down to get some diver caught ones so I think that would be the time to try perhaps.
Manxman

Oldman

Quote(Sorry, got no clue how to control the size of the pictures - hope it works)

Download this free program... It is a good one and you can edit your images with it.

IrfanView

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Gizmo

WCK,
When using photobucket, there is a picture size selector just under the UPload Images & Videos box.  Clicking on the Uploading Options allows you to select the size.  I use the Max Image Size of Message Board (640x480).  I have included the screen shot here of the button.  Once set, it will stay that way until changed. 

Habanero Smoker

Photobucket will also automatically create thumbnail photos, and post the thumbnails on the forum with a link to the original.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

parishollow

Try the spicy scallops at a Sushi place sometime. Raw and delicious!  I make them at home now when I make a sushi night dinner with friends. Now I will have to add the smoked ones I made the other night.
Andrew

Junk Yard Dog

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on September 28, 2006, 10:32:24 PM
Hey, It was Thunder Fish that suggested the maple syrup soaked scallops and jimguy suggested the bacon wrapped. Sorry, fixed the origional post!

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here and need lots of help.  Also, the search function doesn't work well for me.

Is the scallop soaked in pure maple syrup?  How long does it need to soak?  Is it basted after you start cooking?
Is the bacon wrap the only help the scallops get?  Does the bacon cook well enough before the scallops are ready?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but scallops ain't cheap and I wouldn't want to waste them if I don't do it right.

Gary in Texas

Wildcat

There is no such critter as a dumb question.....  I have not experimented with fish or seafood yet with regards to smoking.  My guess would be 50/50 water and maple syrup.

Others should be along shortly.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

PigOut

Looks great WCK !

When I do the bac-scallops I put fresh grated ginger root and a little butter. But that maple syrup thing sounds great. The ones you did wiyhout bacon looks good too. The mrs. doesnt eat meat and I was a little concerned about them getting tough (rubbery). How did yours turn out ?

Skip

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

When Pigs fly around here,there's a trail of smoke comin from em !!

West Coast Kansan

Quote from: Junk Yard Dog on April 06, 2007, 10:16:52 AM

Is the scallop soaked in pure maple syrup?  How long does it need to soak?  Is it basted after you start cooking?
Is the bacon wrap the only help the scallops get?  Does the bacon cook well enough before the scallops are ready?

Yes, Overnight is what I do for soak time. No basting. I cook the bacon a little - but not crisp. You need to be able to flex them around the scallops. I wish I could find thunderfish origional post for the maple.  :(  They do not seem to absorb much but makes a kind of candy coating when you done.

Dont cook them as hot as I did, see in the pictures some of them started to split. I would cook them hotter than Gizmo though.  Gizmo can swallow anything as i understand it.  ;D Maybe 125 to 130 IT.  We over cook about everything much to the amazement of many here - just us ;) So anyway you can bring down the oven temp a little.
I do still suggest a full two hours of smoke.

They are not rubbery but you do chew / Gizmo does his so they melt in you mouth.  I like to chew. 

Skip, I will give the ginger root a try. Guessing a pretty light sprinkle?

Gizmo

For the scallops, I did the same pretreatment as WCK for the cooked but not crisp bacon, and then cold smoke the scallop.  After the cold smoke, the scallops get a quick grillin to brown the outside.  The inside will just turn opaque and they will melt in your mouth.  As WCK mentioned, I have eaten some fresh out of the ocean (expertly harvested by a Navy diver).  The diver had just surfaced and was cleaning up a few and offered me a treat.   8)