BACON: List of curing , smoking times & temps...

Started by MallardWacker, July 29, 2004, 09:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrispy

I was afraid of that......  time to drop back and punt.........

Thanks for your time

Chrispy
:-\

deb415611

Quote from: chrispy on July 04, 2008, 06:22:13 AM
I was afraid of that......  time to drop back and punt.........

Thanks for your time

Chrispy
:-\

Chrispy,

I'd wait until someone more that knows more comes along before dropping back & punting - I'm just looking at what the instructions say but don't know what the implications of using too little cure are.  Still too new at this too!

Hopefully everyone else is having better smoking weather than we are here!  Weather.com only has three hours in the next few days without rain - one of which is right now and they are wrong because it's raining! >:(

Deb

chrispy

Beautiful weather here in S. Florida...... just like every other day......  I will hang out for a while to see if any one else that may have encountered this replies.  Thanks for your time

Chrispy

FLBentRider

Chrispy:

I'm trying to wade through this... and the oxycotin...

one thing I can't find:

did you make it up as a dry cure or a wet one ?

If you made it wet,  have some "pink salt" that you could add to get the proportion on cure correct. We would still need to do the math.

same goes for dry.

Either way - I don't think it is punting time, since:

1. You are curing for flavor, not preservation, so the "worst case" scenario is a under-cured product, that, if properly refrigerated, will not make anyone sick.

2. You can leave it in the cure you have while ordering the other one (or more of the same) and simply shorten the cure times.

3. You may discover you like "lightly cured" product.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

chrispy

FL,

1) I used a dry cure

2)  I do not have any pink salt, but I do have more Maple ham cure, and I also have #1 cure and #2 cure available to me immediately. 

Thanks for your time

Chrispy :)

KyNola

Chrispy,
FLBR is correct with his analysis.  Check with him again but I'm fairly sure #1 cure is "pink salt".  What do you say FLBR?

Almost forgot, welcome to the forum.

KyNola

chrispy

Kynola--

Thanks.  I will wait this one out, I am sure someone will come acrros and get me through this

Chrispy :)

FLBentRider

Yes, Cure #1 and pink salt are the same thing.

How much meat do you have in the cure ?
Did you use all 2lbs of the dry cure ? I'll assume not.

did you use 1.28 oz of cure per lb (Sausage-Maker ratio) or .32 oz of cure per lb (Butcher-Packer ratio)

If you used the ratio that added too much cure, I would go ahead and continue the cure cycle, and after the soak, test-fry a piece. If too salty, re-soak for 30 minutes to an hour and re-test.

If you used the ratio that was too little cure, add the additional cure and finish the cycle, same taste-fry test applies.

I hope this helps.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

chrispy

I used the butcher-packer ration of .32 oz per lb of meat, but actually used the sausage maker maple cure blend.......

Chrispy

Habanero Smoker

Although there is some room for a margin of error, you still need to prevent using too much sodium nitrite; pink salt, InstaCure #1 etc. The recommended amount is 1/4 teaspoon per pound of meat in a dry cure, when it comes to brines it is measured differently.

I would this chalk this one up as a learning experience, continue to cure the way you applied it, and treat it as fresh meat. The color may be a little off as you go to the center of the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Chrispy,
There's your answer.  I was hoping Habs would appear and help you out.  When it comes to all things smoking but especially canadian bacon, curing, etc. he is the authority.

KyNola

FLBentRider

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

chrispy

All right,

I will put the smoke to it tomorrow.. I will let everyone know how it goes..  I appreciate everyones time and patience

Chrispy

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: chrispy on July 04, 2008, 03:37:33 PM
All right,

I will put the smoke to it tomorrow.. I will let everyone know how it goes..  I appreciate everyones time and patience

Chrispy

Chrispy;

I'm not sure when you started curing, I thought you started the day before yesterday. What I meant by my post is to continue the curing time using the guidelines in Mallardwackers recipe. It is possible that Sausage Maker's mix may have enough salt and sodium nitrite in it to fully cure the loins. I use Sausage Maker's Honey Ham, and Maple Ham cures on occasion, I've checked the labels and they don't list the percentage of sodium nitrite. The worse that can happened is that the center of the meat may look grayish compared to the outer part.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chrispy

Hab,

The meat has been curing for 12 days as of now.  The way I read all the info put out there is that alot of people go up to 21 days with no problem.  Maybe I will let it go a little longer.....I have a real problem with potentially ruining it......

Chrispy