BACON: List of curing , smoking times & temps...

Started by MallardWacker, July 29, 2004, 09:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Chrispy,

Has the meat gotten "firmer" ?

The meat should have given off some liquid and be smaller and firmer.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

chrispy

FL,

I noticed this morning that it is in fact getting smaller and firmer.  It is a whole loin cut in two pieces.  One is 4 lbs, and the other is 4.5 lbs.  I think a little bit later I will cut a small piece off and fry it to see what it looks and tastes like.

Chrispy

FLBentRider

Let us know how it comes out.

Like habs stated, you may find that the cure has not penetrated to the middle of the meat.

At that point you can either Smoke "as is" or continue to cure.

Or both.

Smoke one of the pieces, leave the other one in the cure.

Don't forget the drying stage.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

chrispy

FL,

I will cut a small piece off this morning and fry it to see what I have.  Depending on how it goes, I may smoke one of them today.  Thanks for your help and advice.  I appreciate it.

Chrispy

FLBentRider

Chrispy,
No problem. Happy to help.

Let us know how it turns out.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Nice save guys!  Between Habs and FLBR, I think you're good to go.  FLBR, you're pretty good, especially with all that oxycontin flowing through your veins! ;)

KyNola

chrispy

OK guys,

I smoked the first piece this afternoon.  It looks and smells incredible.  I am going to let it cool down, and then wrap and put in the ice box for 2 days.  I will slice it and take pictures (I have already taken pictures today of the whole piece.  The piece I fried this morning looked, smelled and tasted like what it should, I am just hoping it is the same all the way through....  Time will tell.

Chrispy

FLBentRider

That's great news chrispy.
To quote an old tv-series, "I love it when a plan comes together!"

It will be even better after the 2 day wait.

Congrats!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

Just a quick question for TBS, do you dry the bellies at all after the brining or straight to the smoker?

Habanero Smoker

Chrispy;

I'm sure you will have some fine bacon, if not you are going to have some fine smoked meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Sausage Maker

Quote from: Smokin Soon on July 06, 2008, 04:45:18 PM
Just a quick question for TBS, do you dry the bellies at all after the brining or straight to the smoker?

Thanks SS, We put the bellies into the smoker right out of the brine. not even a rinse with water.
when the bellies have reached temp. (135-145deg) then you can open the dampers all the way to dry and color the bacon (about 30 min to 1 hour)
The better the color (mahogany red) the saltier the bacon. ;)
soylent green is people

chrispy

OK Guys (& Girls),

I stored the canadian bacon for two days.  I cut it last night and packaged it (don't worry, it was taste tested...  It is awesome!!  Even my wife loved it!!! After all, her opinion means more than anyone elses....  I have tried inserting pictures of the whole piece, and the product all sliced, but I can not figure out how to accomplish that.  If anyone has advice about how to get that done, I will post the pictures.

Thanks again,

Chrispy

westexasmoker

Chrispy as PC impaired as I am...I figured it out! Go to photobucket and set up an account, its free, and upload your pics there and then you attach them to your post, really pretty simple (although took me a bit to figure it out)  Seems like I remember seeing a fairly detailed post on this using photobucket, you might try a search on the site, I'll see if I can find it!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

chrispy

http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l408/cpoulin1/DSCN0365.jpg
http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l408/cpoulin1/DSCN0355.jpg

Still trying to get the picture thing to work right...I will get it...eventually

Chrispy

Mr Walleye

Chrispy

All you do is (in photo bucket) click on the IMG code. This copies the location of the photo onto your clip board. Then you past it into your post here.

In the example below I have changed the very first and last bracket from the square one to the round one so you could see what it looks like.
(IMG]http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l408/cpoulin1/DSCN0365.jpg[/IMG)

Here is the real thing below.

Hope this helps

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes