Turkey time

Started by Me_Like_Meat, October 03, 2006, 10:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Glad it worked out Mike. Now you have a base to go from on times, brines, etc.

asa

Sounds great Mike. My opinion is that 165 is fine, especially if it sits there for a while. 180 seems to me to be too hot, especially for the white meat. I never aim for > 170 (the USDA "recs" seem way too high and conservative, and guaranteed to dry out the meat)  Brining is always a good idea for a fresh turkey - but it has been pointed out (I believe here) that it is not a good idea for a "butterball" or one that has already been injected.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Me_Like_Meat

Quote from: asa on October 10, 2006, 06:00:48 PM
Sounds great Mike. My opinion is that 165 is fine, especially if it sits there for a while. 180 seems to me to be too hot, especially for the white meat. I never aim for > 170 (the USDA "recs" seem way too high and conservative, and guaranteed to dry out the meat)  Brining is always a good idea for a fresh turkey - but it has been pointed out (I believe here) that it is not a good idea for a "butterball" or one that has already been injected.

If I had waited until it hit 180F, it would have been mummified. As it was, the meat was thoroughly cooked but not overcooked, in fact the "doneness" was as close to perfect as I could hope for. The white meat was very moist, but not mushy. The drumsticks were a tasty handheld treat.

Now to join the ranks of the real Q'ers and do me some beef brisket and pulled pork!