Grouse, Pheasant, or Chicken Recipe

Started by amyz, October 06, 2006, 09:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amyz

I tried a new recipe last night and thought I'd share, it was delicious.  I used 2 grouse and 2 boneless chicken breasts (because we didn't get enough grouse!!  :(

2 pheasant, OR 4 grouse, chicken.....
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 onion

Cut up poultry into 2" pieces.  Melt butter and add spices in bowl.  Coat poultry in butter/spices and add to butter.  Cover with plastic put in refrigerator for one hour.

Slice onions and layer into a disposable 8-9" square pan.  Add poultry, and remelt butter to pour remaining over the top.

Preheat smoker to 250 degrees.  Cook at 250 on top rack for 1 1/2-2 hours or internal temp.  reaches 170-180 degrees.  (It took 1 1/2 for me last night.)  I used cherry wood.

This was really good, and easy!

iceman

Sounds good. I've got some ptarmigan I might try that on.

IKnowWood

Iceman, what is a ptarmigan.  I live in Chicken teritory over here on the Delmarva.  I grew up where grouse are possible, but here rare. 

This does sound good for sure!
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

iceman

Quote from: IKnowWood on October 06, 2006, 11:50:04 AM
Iceman, what is a ptarmigan.  I live in Chicken teritory over here on the Delmarva.  I grew up where grouse are possible, but here rare. 

This does sound good for sure!
Ptarmigan are any of several varieties of northern or alpine grouse (genus Lagopus), having feathered legs and feet and undergoing seasonal changes of color. Ptarmigan, Spruce hen, Grouse, all close to the same thing. ;D

Habanero Smoker

Does this recipe call for boneless poultry. The reason I ask is that when I make curry chicken I cut it into about 2" pieces leaving the bones in.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 06, 2006, 03:45:23 PM
Does this recipe call for boneless poultry. The reason I ask is that when I make curry chicken I cut it into about 2" pieces leaving the bones in.
Don't mean to highjack but could you give me a good curried chicken recipe Hab?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on October 07, 2006, 03:35:18 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 06, 2006, 03:45:23 PM
Don't mean to highjack but could you give me a good curried chicken recipe Hab?

Here is the one that I use. It was taught to me by a Haitian that use to cook for a Jamaican Prime Minister before she immigrated to the U.S. I thought that was a big deal, but she hated the job, and was poorly paid. I can never get it to taste like she made it. She would just start dumping spices in, so my measurement are guesstimates. I have made some changes since posting this recipe. I've increased the Adobo seasoning to 3 teaspoons, and add additional salt to taste during the last 10 minutes of cooking.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1157.0

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

amyz

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: amyz on October 08, 2006, 07:28:03 PM
It is boneless poultry Hab
Thanks. I'm going to give that recipe a try, if I ever get back to smoking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.