Chicken help?

Started by Malc, August 20, 2006, 06:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

I have smoked whole chickens before and have loved them.  So, the other day I wanted some chicken, but I wanted it a little faster, so I tried smoking just the breasts, bone in skin on.  I rubed them down about 3 hrs before and put them in.  They were not good.  The flavor was not bad, but they were very dry, not like the whole bird.  Has anybody had success with just the breasts before?  What did you do?
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

icerat4

I have done these.I only smoke 1-2 hours tops if that just a hint of smoke taste but ya know its there.Then i just finish them on the weber with indirect heat works out just fine.Hope this helps out malc. ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Oldman

Quote from: Malc on August 20, 2006, 06:47:19 AM
I have smoked whole chickens before and have loved them.  So, the other day I wanted some chicken, but I wanted it a little faster, so I tried smoking just the breasts, bone in skin on.  I rubed them down about 3 hrs before and put them in.  They were not good.  The flavor was not bad, but they were very dry, not like the whole bird.  Has anybody had success with just the breasts before?  What did you do?
This sounds like your Box was to hot. May I suggest a target range of 200 -205F max. Remember a whole bird puts out a lot of moisture and that helps cool the box. Breast alone does not put out as much.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

I have had fairly good success doing chicken parts, which include breast with skin on and bone in. With chicken breast it is best to take them out of the smoker when the internal temperature hits 155°F, some chefs take the breast out of the oven at 150°F. I also usually apply a thin coat of oil (corn, olive or peanut) over the skin before applying the rub.

Another thing; I recently read an article in Cook's Illustrated. If your rub contains salt, they recommend that you apply the rub at least 6 hours before cooking. Within the first 3-4 hours, the salt draws moisture out of the chicken towards the surface, after 4 hours the process begins to reverse and the moisture is drawn back into the chicken, along with any soluble spices and herbs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

winemakers

I would suggest the basic trinity,

brine, brine, brine.

Perhaps, brine for several hours (1~3) then rinse, pat dry then rub and smoke?

mld

kiyotei

I do chicken breasts all the time.  First I buy as big a breast as I can find (I do skinless, boneless).  The only way to keep them from drying out is to soak them in a brine for up to 4 hours.  You will most likely have to play with the salt content of the brine to get it right.  If there is too much salt, it will leave the chicken very salty.  Make sure you rinse well.  If you apply a rub after soaking (I do), make sure its low in salt content.  I smoke the chicken for about 2 hours at any temp above 200 but below 250.  I find the chicken has more than enough smoke flavor.  I actually think its getting a bit over smoked.

Chez Bubba

Quote from: kiyotei on October 01, 2006, 07:14:39 PM
as big a breast as I can find

A man after my own heart! ;D ;D ;D

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

West Coast Kansan

I have done a lot of these as one of our favorites.  2 hours Apple and Pecan alternating. Oven temp at 210 IT at 155 to 160 and they are out of there.  Always juicy. Did a dozen last friday for the wedding yesterday and wrapped them in foil and bagged in big zip locks over night.  We put them in the oven with lots of other stuff to warm and they were great.  One thing I do is pull the skin so it wraps around the under (bone side). I think it puts moisture under the piece and may help... just dont over cook.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Vampyr

I have been wondering how chicken breast pieces would turn out.  I will have to give it a shot.  I like the brine idea.  ;)

Malc

Can anybody reccomend a brine they have tried with success?

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

iceman

Quote from: Malc on October 03, 2006, 10:05:47 AM
Can anybody reccomend a brine they have tried with success?

Malc
Malc;
Try the basic poultry brine in the recipe forum. (I think I posted it there)?
If I didn't let me know and I'll get it to you.

bubbagump

Quote from: iceman on October 03, 2006, 02:20:06 PM
Malc;
Try the basic poultry brine in the recipe forum. (I think I posted it there)?
If I didn't let me know and I'll get it to you.

This is the one I've used before, and liked it.

iceman