Auber PID yes or no??

Started by okeejohn, January 21, 2009, 06:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drano

Okeejohn,
How did your pork butt turn out?  Hopefully it was pull-apart and tasty.
Since you have the DBS, I'd recommend doing a couple smokes before you buy a PID (unless you've got money to smoke burn ;D).  Watch the temps in the tower to see how well the DBS maintains temps.  I'd assume the DBS will vary +/- 5 deg or so, which is fine for butt, brisket, ribs, chicken and the like. 
Now if you move into sausage, the PID is nice, since more controlled temp range is nice-- +/- 1 deg keeps the sausage from getting too hot (to prevent melting fat), and prevents the smoker from cooling too much as a less precise temp controller would as it cycles to hold temp. 
So run a few more smokes, see how they turn out, then ask yourself if holding +-/ 1 degree would be a benefit over the current temp variance. 
good luck and keep us posted

drano

bigcatdaddy

I had my DBS for about a year now and love it!!  I just ordered a Auber PID the other day and waiting for it to arrive.  Been wanting one for awhile to help with the temp swings and the longer cooking times.  According to everything I've read on the site, this will take care of the problem.

BCD

Mr Walleye

BCD

You'll be a happy camper for sure, it's a great addition. Keep us posted on how you make out.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes