Some pictures of my Digital BS in the garage.

Started by Mr Walleye, October 10, 2006, 08:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

I had never thought about putting a chamber above the main unit. I'm not sure it would cool it off enough.

My plan in my original post was meant to be permanent. Because it's inside I have no problem maintaining temps in the box without the generator on. I thought if I mounted the generator in a metal box on the lower shelf the box itself would dissipate some of the heat. As well by using metal piping out of the metal box, through a 45 degree elbow, then a vertical section of metal pipe up through the top shelf, then another 45 degree elbow and finally connected to the BS box. I thought by the smoke having to pass horizontally through the metal box on the lower shelf the heat would dissipate through the metal, or at least some of it.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Kansan

I like your idea from your post and the permanent set up.

I confess I know squat about cold smoking  :-\ and have been looking forward to learning more - bought an electric smoker thinking I would be able to minimize the temperature over other units on the market - (obviously not even an option on chuck wood units).

For you I would think the length of duct necessary is a function of how much temp difference there is between the inside and outside of the duct.  In the case of Saskatchewan I had hoped it would be a huge temp difference and if you roll that unit outside in the winter, I would have hoped it would be no ducting necessary for cold smoking.

At about 65 degrees ambient is where i gave up in SD. The ice and wedge in the door to reduce and let out heat (plenty of smoke left) started to exceed the challenge / fun / cold smoke proportion values (wife laughing) value. This short cord sensor news is something I am going to have to find a way to deal with pretty soon.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Mr Walleye

Yes there is no question during the winter months I could wheel it outside and would have no problem maintaining a temp below 90 degrees. I just wanted a more permanent solution. I guess I will have to keep brain storming.

IKnowWood

Great setup.  Mine is not so clean looking.  In my garage the range hood is handing on 4 tie-downs floating over the smoker with a dryer hose to a window.  As mine is a Original, I built a TS and plugged the Range hood to the power that turns the Generato on and off.  That enables my to know that the vent is working when the generator is working.

I like the idea of the 4" pipe, I need that.  I get smoke in the garage.  I normally have to open a door to allow the excess to escape.  I will try the Pipe.  I may also notch mid way on the pipe to allow more outside air.  But not at first. 

Great ideas...
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Mr Walleye

Thanks guys

The pipe is kinda a work in progress. I started with out any notches in it and kinda progressed from there. I may just trim the notches a little higher yet. It is nice having it in the garage though, last night it got down to -9, brrrr. Today it's -1 and the wind is 46, gusting to 59 kph and I'm smokin' some snack sticks. Ya gotta love it!

MRH

Mr Walleye,

I have a question on your set up here.... Did you try it without the pipe first?  I have been thinking about doing something similar and was wondering if the  oven exhaust hood would draw enough that you wouldn't need the pipe, or doesn't it have enough draft to pull all the smoke up? What about when you open the door?  I picked up a bathroom fan but  don't think it will have enough cfm's to work.  That is why I am so curious about yours.

Thanks,
Mark

Mr Walleye

Hi Mark

I did try it without the pipe first. The pipe was a secondary idea. I quoted from my first post below. I don't think the bathroom fan will have enough CFM. I think the rangehood I used was 220 CFM. If I remember correctly the bathroom fans are rated around 90 or 100 CFM.

"At first I had some smoke in the garage (not much) until I realized that a range hood with a standard fan (not a drum style blower) actually only sucks air from the very centre. So I added a piece of 4" PVC pipe and that just sits on top of the BS over the vent. It worked very well but tended to draw too much air through the unit causing it to cool down. My solution was to notch the 4" pipe at the bottom to allow it to draw room air as well. I have found that I tend to have the vent slightly more closed now due to the assisted draw on it but I have no problem maintaining temps. For an example, if I was smoking something that I normally would have the vent 3/4 open I will now set it at about 1/2 way open."

Mike

Brisket Lover

Quote from: Mr Walleye on October 10, 2006, 08:24:58 AM
I just thought you guys might be interested in this. I have my BS sitting on a standard mechanics cart with a plastic storage tub on the lower shelf for storing the pucks in. Because I live in Saskatchewan I decided to install a direct vented range hood in my heated garage. At first I had some smoke in the garage (not much) until I realized that a range hood with a standard fan (not a drum style blower) actually only sucks air from the very centre. So I added a piece of 4" PVC pipe and that just sits on top of the BS over the vent. It worked very well but tended to draw too much air through the unit causing it to cool down. My solution was to notch the 4" pipe at the bottom to allow it to draw room air as well. I have found that I tend to have the vent slightly more closed now due to the assisted draw on it but I have no problem maintaining temps. For an example, if I was smoking something that I normally would have the vent 3/4 open I will now set it at about 1/2 way open.

Anyway, I just thought some of you guys might be interested.

Mr W, when you had this setup did the oven fan vent to the outside or just back in the garage?

Edit-  Ok I found another thread where you stated it vented outside.  Most of the oven hoods I have come across vent out the front.  Did you find one that vented out a vent or did you modify it?  I think this is what I want to do in my garage.

La Quinta

I think it looks brilliant....NOW...what can ya think of for 110 in the summer and garage is like 120? Put your thinking cap on Fishman...I want to keep cold smoking!!!  ;)

La Quinta

Mr Walleye

Hi BL

Most of the range hoods will vent both outside or recirculate back to the inside. Here is a link similar to the one that I have.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02252882000P?keyword=range+hood#specificationsAnchor

To me the must have options are...

At least 250 CFM

Vented outside

infinite variable speed fan

Mike

Mr Walleye

Quote from: La Quinta on April 12, 2009, 08:00:53 PM
I think it looks brilliant....NOW...what can ya think of for 110 in the summer and garage is like 120? Put your thinking cap on Fishman...I want to keep cold smoking!!!  ;)

LQ

Ya mean to tell me ya don't have Central air in your garage?  ???  ???  ???

Man... that's like me "not" having heat in mine!  :o

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

Brisket Lover

Thanks for the quick answer.  Now what does infinite variable speed fan mean?  I see it listed but what does it do?

Mr Walleye

BL

Instead of having 1, 2 or 3 fan speeds, it is a rheostat so you can adjust it to any speed. Kinda like the volume on a stereo so to speak.

Mike

La Quinta

Fishman...the power bill is already 400-500 bucks a month in the summer....A/C in the garage? Ah....NOT SO MUCH....???  ???  ??? Keep thinkin.... ;) The attic get's to about 225 or more...KEEP THINKIN'  ;D