Some pictures of my Digital BS in the garage.

Started by Mr Walleye, October 10, 2006, 08:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

I just thought you guys might be interested in this. I have my BS sitting on a standard mechanics cart with a plastic storage tub on the lower shelf for storing the pucks in. Because I live in Saskatchewan I decided to install a direct vented range hood in my heated garage. At first I had some smoke in the garage (not much) until I realized that a range hood with a standard fan (not a drum style blower) actually only sucks air from the very centre. So I added a piece of 4" PVC pipe and that just sits on top of the BS over the vent. It worked very well but tended to draw too much air through the unit causing it to cool down. My solution was to notch the 4" pipe at the bottom to allow it to draw room air as well. I have found that I tend to have the vent slightly more closed now due to the assisted draw on it but I have no problem maintaining temps. For an example, if I was smoking something that I normally would have the vent 3/4 open I will now set it at about 1/2 way open.

Anyway, I just thought some of you guys might be interested.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Very well thought out Mr.W.
That's just the set up I was talking to Vanpyr about this weekend. He'll love to see this set up. Great job!!! ;)

West Coast Kansan

nice!
Will you want / need the filter in the hood?

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Vampyr

That looks like just the ticket for some quality indoor Alaska smokin!! :D  I am gonna have to do the same thing as soon as i get a free wall in my garage LOL  Lately it has been my front porch so i can look out the window to make sure things are goin good.

icerat4

Looks nice .Your going to need a table for loading and un loading food.I dont see that in the pics so just a heads uppie. ;)

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Mr Walleye

The filter is just a grease filter so I thought I would leave it in. It kinda has the consistancy of coarse steel wool.

I have another cart similar to the one the BS is sitting on to use as a portable table. Plus outside the picture I have 8' of workbench.

Another project I was thinking of is to remove the smoke generator and place it in the shelf below the BS (for cold smoking). Mount it to a metal box and run metal pipe up through the top shelf, then an elbow connecting it to the BS. I think the cords would be long enough to do this. This should help to be able to keep the box temp low enough. Any thoughts?

Arcs_n_Sparks

Smudge

Quote from: Mr Walleye on October 10, 2006, 01:42:47 PM
The filter is just a grease filter so I thought I would leave it in. It kinda has the consistancy of coarse steel wool.

I have another cart similar to the one the BS is sitting on to use as a portable table. Plus outside the picture I have 8' of workbench.

Another project I was thinking of is to remove the smoke generator and place it in the shelf below the BS (for cold smoking). Mount it to a metal box and run metal pipe up through the top shelf, then an elbow connecting it to the BS. I think the cords would be long enough to do this. This should help to be able to keep the box temp low enough. Any thoughts?

It would seem to be too short of a distance for cold smoking. I would think too much heat would still be entering the box. Some guys have simply used dryer hoses, using the box the smoker came in, cutting out a hole to place the hot plate through. What are they (dryer hoses), 10 feet?

As for the cord reaching, I don't believe you need to plug the box in.     

Mr Walleye

I hadn't thought about the box not having to be pluged in. On the digital there is also a small wire from the smoke generator to the box. I assume this is the temp. probe. I hadn't given it enough thought, I wonder if the generator runs with the others unpluged? I may have to try it and see.

Chez Bubba

Quote from: Smudge on October 10, 2006, 06:16:56 PM
As for the cord reaching, I don't believe you need to plug the box in.     

Not with an original, but with the digitals there is a 3rd cord that is a safety feature. If it is not connected, smoker brain says screw you.

Kirk

Mr Tastyfish & I were posting at the same time. He beat me to "Post".
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

West Coast Kansan

I know that when the small cord on the digital or anything in the temp sense line opens you get an error code and the oven temp shuts down.  I didn't check or pay attention if the puck plate shut off as well. I too need to look at that. 

I was waiting for the bitter cold of the San Diego winter nights to play with cold smoking - something I have rarely tried. I was hoping to be able to avoid the duct work stuff and still be able to stay under 90 -95F with outside ambient at 45 to 50F. 

Is there a break even ambient temperature where you dont need duct work and you dont need ice, or pop cycle sticks in the door?

I would guess Saskatchewan, would have that temperature if not SD?

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Mr Walleye

Hi WCK

Here in Saskatchewan we get down to -40 and lots of wind. Thats why I set it up in my heated garage. I will have to head out to the garage and try unpluging them.

Mr Walleye

Ok... I ran out and tried it and the answer is no. The smoke generator will run without the power plug going to the main box but it will not run without the temp probe being pluged in.

West Coast Kansan

Mr. Walleye and a nice clean looking installation you have as well!

If it turns out the puck burner shuts off with the temp sense circuit disconnect I will use that excuse as my play for a second Bradley smoker. Maybe a scratch and dent unit from Chez Bubba plus another tower good enough to hold racks.  I just dont want to mess with boxes, duct work, pop cycle sticks, ice or etc. I would rather have a consistent look and units permanently mounted on a portable set of shelves.

A smallish fridge may be the answer (rigged with a couple of generators) but would want all metal inside (now I wonder why?).

West Coast Kansan

I got distracted and your answer beat my question.  We need the temp circuit to run the generator.
1) Longer cord for temp sensor plus all the nonsense to cool the air
2) Dummy load for sensor jack off the generator box plus all the nonsense to cool the air.
3) Used fridge to use as cold smoke tower to plug our generator (still need the longer cord or dummy load.
4) Second unit plus extra tower for dedicated cold smoker

or

I wonder how much heat loss there is inside the bradley (I need to take the temp of the exhaust smoke).  Could a guy smoke something by just putting a tower on top of the initial unit and let the smoke from the first one be the input to the cold smoke chamber.  Use a sleeve similar to what you have to your exhaust hood to slip into a hole in the bottom of the cold smoke chamber.

Bet someone has tried cold smoking with the vent of the bradley sourcing some type of cold smoke chamber.