New smoker

Started by smokindave, October 13, 2006, 04:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokindave

Finally decided to come over to the dark side.  I've used (and will continue to use) "real smokers/pits" for a lot of years, but decided that unless we have company coming over, it's just too much work 90% of the time.  As a result, we just don't  "Q" as often as I'd like.....so I have a new 4 rack digital as a birthday gift. 

A little surprised by the temp variance, even though it was well documented in this forum.  Mine varies +/- 20 degrees around the set point for a total 40 degree swing.  That's pretty substantial.  I talked to the nice folks at Bradley and they confirmed that that was about right, so I'm gonna take a deep breath and give it a try this weekend.

Request fr the family is for ribs (pork.....sorry to the TX guys out there, but that's the only kind in my book!).  At least for me, they tend to be a little tricky, so I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom out there for thoughts and any favorite technique/recipe links.  Thks in advance, and I'll let you know how it goes.

manxman

Welcome to the forum smokindave, hope all goes well with your first smoke.  :)
Manxman

icerat4

Lots of help here if ya need just ask.Someone will always chime in.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

IKnowWood

Ypu can do a search on the forum for Ribs, there are many recent topics and posts on this.

My, I love ribs and do them often.  some of the main parts is

0) Remove membrane under the rib for a better result.
1) have a good rub and do not layer it to think the night before. 
2) Take them out about an hour before placing them in the smoker and put a light dusting of Rub on them as soon as you take them out (before resting for a while).
3) Get the smoker preheated nice and hot for the hour before smoking.
4) use a moisture / flavor additive like apple Juice on the ribs frequently (no more othan once an hour [after the first 2 hours])
5) smoke them for the time you want and flavor (depends on taste).  i like Pecan for 5 hours
6) Cook them at 200 to 220 Degrees for about 6 hours (at 220 5 is enough).  Such that internal temp is at 185 or so.
7) FTC for at least an hour before searving

Those are the basics I go by and have been very happy with.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

icerat4

220 Imo is a little to high.Better safer with just a tad lower 195-205 is best .this give ya a little room on time.And lways assuring you great ribs.Imo ;D ;) other wise ya look good.

Oldman

QuoteFinally decided to come over to the dark side.  I've used (and will continue to use) "real smokers/pits"
Man O man do you ever have a lot to learn.....

Get em' Rat~~!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

smokindave

They're on now.  Planning on 7 hours at 200 or so with 4 hours of Alder.  Would have preferred Hickory/Oak but this was all that my local store had, so we'll see.  Tough part will be guesstimating temp with the big swing around the set point.

I'm going to spritz with apple juice along the way, there's no harm to the box spraying in the smoker is there?  Or do I need to pull the racks out?  I'd rather get in and out as fast as possible.....

Chez Bubba

No harm in spritzing while inside. Just remember, every time you open the door, you add 30-40 minutes cook time.

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

smokindave

Just pulled them off after 7 hours.  FTC'ing now.  Look awfully good.....kind of scary because I didn't do much of anything.  Rotated racks once halfway through and spritzed with apple juice 3 times.

.......it can't be this easy, can it?  We'll know in 2 hours.

LilSmoker

hmmmm sounds good

I did ribs last weekend, i followed the tips and advice from the guys here and the ribs were delicious, i did a couple of chickens to just for good measure.

And i agree, it seems very easy and straight forward with the BS, can't wait for my next smoke, can't do anything this weekend (work) but atm i've got smoked salmon on my mind, so maybe later in the week.

icerat4's pic of those ribs always makes my mouth water I hope yours turn out delicious to  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

icerat4

i hope all worked out for ya .It SHOULD. Any problem let me know we aim to please. ;D ;D.I can tell you how many ribs ive done in the past 6 months .Try about 150 slabs plus in two smokers each weekend its a routine.They all sell out quick around here. ;)

icerat4

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: smokindave on October 14, 2006, 01:50:05 PM
.......it can't be this easy, can it?  We'll know in 2 hours.

smokindave,

This fact is classified, especially regarding your spouse/girlfriend. I'll tell my wife I have to check on it all the time. Of course, my beer refrigerator is in the garage. :D :D :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

smokindave

Two thumbs up!

Four racks gone in 20 minutes fr 2 couples and one very happy little Schnauzer.

Smoke was perfect, but ribs were just a little on the dry side (though no one else thinks so).  Any thoughts?  I did 7 hours at 210 deg "indicated".  Temp would go up to a high of about 215 deg and drop to a low of 185 deg as it cycled on and off.  Thinking to drop it down to 200 deg next time which will prob add another hour to the smoke.  Will that help?  Also, I'm wondering if it's necessary to ftc ribs.  Didn't seem to do much, in fact they seemed actually a little more moist before the 2 hour ftc.  Thoughts?

Beyond that though, I couldn't be happier with the smoker.  You're absolutely right.  If the wife finds out it's this easy, the "awe factor" is bound to drop.  Just my little secret......  Thks guys!

icerat4

Well heres a thought for next time.Smoke in bs for 4 hours or 5 at most.Spray apple juice after the frist hour and then after every hour the last hour slap a little bbq sauce on and when the 4th hours done spray juice on the foil and the ribs .Then wrap up the foil and set in the oven at 190 for another 3-4 hours.This will make them fall off the bone good.Heres a pic.

the steam when in the foil helps out the fall off the bone part and at 190 you have plenty of time.This has been done by me over and over with same great results.The baby back i do are sams clubs and the wieght is about 7 pounds per the 3 slabs.Most done at one time is 6 slabs 14 pounds this will take a good 8 hours 1/2 smoke 1/2 time in the oven.The pics above show the meats clean off the bone.Good luck on the next ones keep us posted. ;D