Newbie ? Smoking Time for Venison Sausage Sticks?

Started by smoker1961, October 14, 2006, 03:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker1961

I got a yearling doe two days ago (shoot it right in the ear with a bow) and had a butcher grind up about 40# for sausage sticks. I bought a Bradley Smoker the electirc 4 shelf one. I followed the instructions earlier today to season the smoker. Oh, the butcher prepared the sausage with the salt and spices just as he would for beef sticks that he sends out for smoking. He did not have a source for smoking deer meat so I thought it was time to buy a smoker ( I have always wanted one). I have read many of the posts here but I have not found a specific formula for cook times. I have the first batch in now and the temp is 200F I am thinking that I will keep it at 200 for the first 2 hours and then drop it to 150 for the next 6 hours. Please let me know your thoughts. My goal is to produce the very firm jerky like sausage sticks.

MRH

I just did some deer jerky and had the temp set at 170 degrees and it took 4 to 4.5 hours to get all of the racks done.  I had to rotate racks and keep checking them after 3 hours.  I just try to keep a eye on it and remove the jerky when I think it is done.  I hate to overcook it, I like it chewy but not like shoe leather.  I would think sticks would be somewhat the same.

Mark

winemakers

This has worked well for me many times.

Season as you will with many variations from sweet to hot/spicy and stuff into 3/8 inch (19-22 mm) casing.  I leave the sticks linked together so I can drape them over 1 inch dowl set onthe top wrack supports.

Into the preheated smoker with the vent open wide for at least an hour.  I watch the temp to be sure it doesn't get much above 140.  Now smoke with wood of choice for 2~4 hours, depending on personal taste with temp not exceeding 155!!  With small diameter sausage, it is very easy to go overtemp, and render the fat, resulting in a dry bit-o-leather.  I love the traditional hickory and up to 4 hours.  Close monitoring is necessary to keep the sticks rotated front to back etc.  I have a circulation fan, so the bottom to top temperature differential isnt a factor.  If you do not have a fan, you must be careful that the bottom of the sticks dont overcook/crisp (avoided if laying flat on racks but a much smaller capacity with racks instead of hanging).

Internal temp to about 145, remove and shower with cold water.  If you want a darker color, allow to rest at room temp (bloom) till you get what you want.

works well for me and these are always requested for holiday gifts!

mld

smoker1961

Thanks for the information. My first batch was not good but I am trying a second batch now with your suggetions.  ;)

MRH

Let us know how the second try comes out.  I might have to try some sticks some day too. ;D

Mark

coyote

Long live the harvesters of high speed beef...........as natural as smoke in a chimney !

Coyote

Arcs_n_Sparks

smoker1961,

What went wrong on the first batch? Too tough, etc?????

Arcs_n_Sparks