Smoked salmon refreeze?

Started by LilSmoker, October 22, 2006, 02:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilSmoker

Hi guys, today i'm doing some cold smoked salmon, well i bought these lovely fillets a couple of weeks back, but because i didn't have time to prep them, i froze them, i thawed them in the fridge, cured them, and in a few minutes they'll be in the smoker.
So once they're smoked, can i safely freeze them again because they've been cured?, or should they just be put in the fridge?, i have a foodsaver so i will be vacuuming them whatever happens.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys.............LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

tsquared

You can refreeze them, no problem. My only question would be: When you bought them, had the store thawed them to sell to you? I personally wouldn't freeze fish more than twice.
T2

LilSmoker

Thanks tsquared, yeah that's a point i don't know if they were frozen originaly?, they were labeled as fresh, i suppose i'll have to take a chance, or eat the whole lot real quickly hehe!

I'm just about to pull them out, i can't wait to taste them.

Once again many thanks ;)

tsquared

Hey, enjoy. I thought I'd have a plate of crackers with cream cheese, purple onion, jalepeno jelly and cold smoked spring salmon on them as appies while I was watching the baseball game last night. It tasted so good that I ate the whole plate and was too full for anything else!  ;D
T2

Kummok

As per T2, freezing the smoked product is not only common in my house, but REQUIRED! ;) The salmon actually improves after freezing....I like it better than fresh outta the smoker. I normally smoke 50-75 lbs at a wack so freezing is a must. I vac-seal in serving size bags before freezing.......

Edit to add....
Opps! Just noticed that you're cold smoking.....the above is concerning hot smoked. Don't know how it would apply to cold smoked, since I never do that...... ???

iceman

Thawing, brining, cold smoking, then vac sealing and refreezing works just fine. I do it with scotch smoked style salmon all the time. Make sure to refreeze in single serving size pouches like Kummok suggested because you won't be able to freeze them a third time. ;D

LilSmoker

Thanks guys, that's put my mind at rest  ;)