Venison Jerky

Started by Alan, November 24, 2003, 05:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

My question (on this, my first posting!) is -- which "flavor" bisquette works best for venison jerky? I'm very satisfied with a dry rub blend of sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic salt, but I'm stumped on which flavor little wood disc to use.
Three local hunters have each offered me 1/2 a deer if I would smoke the other 1/2 for them, either as pieces or jerky. Sounds like a good deal to me, and I ready to get started! Its amazing how many offers I get to smoke stuff for people. I've only had the Bradley 3 weeks, and there seems to be a line at the back door.
Thanks to all for reading this, I'm hoping to hear from some of you.
Best regards, Alan (in central Virginia)
<font color="black"></font id="black">

woodpen62

Alan:  I have found for jerky that I want a strong flavor.  Usually I will use Hickory as this has a strong enough flavor to compete with the venison flavor.

Michael    good smokin  [:D]

Chez Bubba

Alan,

Sounds like you've found a gold mine in your backyard!

Regarding the different woods, I've found that in general, people tend to claim the "best" wood for smoking just happens to be the most prevalent & accessable in their area of the country. Yes, there are subtle differences and with a little experimentation, you may find one that appeals to YOU more than another, but you're certainly not going to ruin a batch by using one wood as opposed to another (exception mesquite).

I've read wine snobbies claim they can tell whether the grapes were grown on the north side of the hill or the south side because of the difference in aroma in the wine. I'm not buying it.

The most important thing is to have fun smokin' and enjoy the food. Sometimes you'll think it could have been better if..., other times it will be the most awesome meal you can remember.

The biggest beauty of smoking, especially with the Bradley, is that after you've done it a couple of times and read a little bit, you really have to try hard to screw it up.

Happy Smokin',
Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?