Pumpkin Seeds...again

Started by boxertrio, October 22, 2006, 06:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxertrio

After a carvin marathon with the family, I have a whole lot of seeds left.  I found an old post from Thunder Fish on roasting the seeds.

1/4 cp of curing salt
1 1/2 cp of seeds
3 pucks
210 degrees

I am guessing, toss the seeds with the salt and smoke on.  Any additions or changes?  I will probably add some jalapeƱo or cheyenne powder.
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Thunder Fish

And this year I have all the seeds I want from a large pumkin patch come Nov 1st!mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........take all the seeds and leave the rest please.I'm going with course(kosher) salt this year,might spice them also thanks
Will grab one for makeing pumkin soup out of  ::)

Chez Bubba

Let's pretend there is a guy out there with high blood pressure & wants to cut down on his salt intake. ;)

Is there any reason the salt cannot be omitted or highly reduced? (Other spices added of course.)

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

asa

What about the potassium salt substitute, Kirk. Wouldn't that work to give some of the salty flavor w/o the sodium load? Or lemon-pepper. That would be good too.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Chez Bubba

Have you ever tasted that stuff? It sucks!

I'm not a big lemon-pepper fan but that's the direction I'm going with the question. Is there anything that the salt contributes, other than flavor, that would make the end product unacceptable?

I'm thinking some melted unsalted butter, a wee bit of Worchestshire, ground rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper & cayenne.

Kirk
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

asa

Kirk -
I'm not a food scientist (just a wannabee) but I think that salt has been used for centuries as a flavor-enhancer, not just for the salty flavor itself. Lemon does have some similar characteristics in my experience - I add lemon juice to a lot of sauces and dishes to "brighten" the flavor (everything from turkey gravy to spaghetti sauce to Brunswick stew, even my BBQ sauce). You can't taste the lemon per se, but it sure does make things taste better.

I just checked our worchestershire sauce and it has 65mg of sodium per tsp, so you do have to be careful about prepared things. I did try the KCl at one point a year or so ago, then didn't get into using it much, and my wife threw it out. I thought I could figure out a way to work with it, but she rejected it because of the flavor. So I appreciate your opinion of the taste - it isn't a perfect substitute, but I'm wondering if and when I have to, if I couldn't figure out a way of using it to enhance flavors. Might try some experimentation and combination with other things. It seems to me we become used to certain tastes in life, and there are many other possibilities. I wish I could think of some other suggestions, but I can't offhand. Let us know how the seeds turn out.

Regards,
     Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Chez Bubba on October 31, 2006, 05:44:48 PM
Have you ever tasted that stuff? It sucks!

I'm not a big lemon-pepper fan but that's the direction I'm going with the question. Is there anything that the salt contributes, other than flavor, that would make the end product unacceptable?

I'm thinking some melted unsalted butter, a wee bit of Worcestershire, ground rosemary, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper & cayenne.

Kirk

Sound like you are getting close, making sure you use a wee bit of Worcestershire. A small amount of ginger helps enhance flavors. Also I learned a tip over the summer. When the recipe calls for cayenne add a pinch of cinnamon. If the recipe calls for cinnamon add a pinch of cayenne. It does seem to make a world of difference.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

boxertrio

Well, I used sea salt and lots of jalapeneo powder.....turned out great.  Took some with me when we went to the Rocky Horror Picture Show last night, the tranny sitting next to me though they were awesome ;D :o.
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Chez Bubba

I thought I posted this a long time ago but apparently not. Here's what I did:

2 cups seeds
8 TBS unsalted butter
1 TBS each Worchestershire sauce, garlic powder, cayenne, ground rosemary
1/2 TBS each onion powder & ground cumin
1/4 TBS ground ginger
1/8 TBS ground cinnamon

Melt butter, add W-sauce, then spices. Pour over seeds & mix well. Arrange seeds in single layer on mesh screens on 2 Bradley racks. hot smoke on high for 1 1/2 hours. Cool.

They turned out freaking delicious! Unfortunately, I didn't get to consume too many. The bag I took to work got scarfed by anybody who walked by my desk and the ones I left here became Anne's new favorite salad topping.

Kirk