Bisquette Timer

Started by dogbreath, October 23, 2006, 09:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogbreath

I'm new to my digital 6-rack. I preheat the bisquette timer when I'm hot smoking, because I figure it also helps to heat the interior. When I insert my meat and bisquettes, Does the 20 minutes advance start every 20 minutes on the timer or 20 minutes after I manually advance the bisquettes to put the first one on the hot plate? I'm wondering if I'll start the first one and it will get pushed out before its 20 minutes is done if I don't time my meat/chip insertion until just after a 20 minute period. Would changing the time to a 20 minute multiple be a way to fool it?

Thanks,
Dan

Oldman

Dan I'm not quit certain what you are asking. However, I will explain how I do it. 

The way I set mine up is like what you are doing for the pre-heat. Generator and heating element on.  Once my box is the temp. I want I will cycle the puck advance 3 times. This will put a puck on the burner. After that every 20 minutes a new puck will advance.  It is at this time I add the item to be smoked. I know of no way to adjusted the 20 minute cycle.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

asa

If it is like the manual version, the 20 minute timer doesn't seem to start until you advance a puck to the heating plate.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

asa

Dan -
I'm correcting what I said above. The puck advance timer does appear to start when you switch the generator on. I switched the generator on this weekend to heat the burner, did not press the advance, and when I came back a while later (perhaps 40min or more) found that a couple of pucks had advanced. My guess is that the first advance occurs 20min after initially switching it on because I don't see the advance occurring right away. Sorry about the incorrect speculation above. This is on the original - the digital may be different - individual mileage may vary, etc.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Gizmo

After I preheat the burner, I advance the 1st puck to the burner and then press the smoke timer button to reset it to the appropriate time for the entire smoke.  The pucks drop every 20 minutes there after.  I preheat the burner as several times when I first started using the BS, the 1st puck was not always burned through.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

dogbreath

I've taken to resetting the timer after I load the first puck. Everything seems to work on cue then....except when I didn't leave the vents open enough and moisture/smoke/oils glued up the puck advance mechanism giving me an Error messange and beeping when the puck needed to advance. I'll have to watch that in the future.

Dan