Smokin Chicken Drumsticks

Started by David6340, August 05, 2004, 09:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David6340

I've got about 20 chicken drumsticks I'd like to smoke. I know it should be a high temp but how high and for how long? Also, do you keep the vents open all the way to try to get crisp skin? Thanks.

David6340

Well I smoked the 20 drumsticks for 3 hours. Average temp of 220-230. Texas Dry Rub #2. Cherry and Maple bisquettes. Came out great! A deep Mahogoney color. Very moist and <font color="red"><b>CRISPY SKIN</b>!!</font id="red"> Heated up some Famous Dave's Sweet BBQ sauce. My son said the chicken was so good, it didn't need it.

Chez Bubba

Well Dave, for a guy askin' the question you seem to have pretty good answers![8D] My reply would not have been too far from your second post.

I'm a dry rub guy & mediocre chili-head. The only sauce of Dave's I have a use for is Devil's Spit, and that's to cover up my mistakes![:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Eat This

David,

dont take this wrong but 2 weeks ago you were looking to sell your Bradley....I for 1 am glad to see you learning how to SMOKE and glad it came out great......

kirk (the other kirk)

David6340

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat This</i>
<br />David,

dont take this wrong but 2 weeks ago you were looking to sell your Bradley....I for 1 am glad to see you learning how to SMOKE and glad it came out great......

kirk (the other kirk)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Kirk,

I'm sure that in the past, you've never said or done anything that you wish you didn't. My words came out of frustration at the end of a long day. But yes, I am learning how to SMOKE. Thanks.

Dave

kjel

David,
So what's the secret to crispy chicken skin?  Vent opening?  Would you do anything different the next go around?

David6340

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kjel</i>
<br />David,
So what's the secret to crispy chicken skin?  Vent opening?  Would you do anything different the next go around?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Kjel,

First time I've smoked Chicken. Just applied rub, started out with open vents and later decreased to about 50% open to try to get the temp up higher. Smoked for 3 hours. Temp range started at 200 to about 230 - 250 the last hour. I had planned to throw them on the gas grill for a few minutes after smoking to crisp up the skin but to my suprise, didn't need to.