Time to Brew a Smoked Porter for Xmas

Started by MWS, October 28, 2006, 10:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

It's time to bring out the all grain homebrew equipment and start my seasonal Smoked Christmas Porter. I brew this every fall (2 year tradition) for the Christmas season. This morning I'm smoking 2 lbs of 2 row malted barley using alder for about 1.5 hours @ 180F.  Next weekend I'm going to brew a double IPA. Hmmm.....I think I'll add some smoked grains to that as well. Is there anything our Bradley's can't be used for?

I brewed a very strong 'Winter Warmer' (barleywine) last season and saved a couple of 22 oz. bottles to try this Christmas.
I'm not sure I can wait.  ;) :P

Ingredients: MWS's All Grain Hoppy Smoked Porter

8 lbs. 2 row pale malt (Maris Otter)
2 lbs. Alder smoked 2 row pale malt (Maris Otter)
0.5 lb. black malt
0.5 lb. chocolate malt

2 oz. Chinook hops
3 oz. Goldings hops
English ale yeast (Wyeast 1098)

I won't bore you with the mash/sparge/boil/fermenting details.  ;) :D

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Kummok

Sure sounds great! Sure wish you lived in Homer, Mike....that would go GREAT with smoked feeder King! :)

Oyènkwara

Mmmmm....Smoked Porter

That sounds really good!

So.... When is the Christmas Party???  ;D ;D ;D

MWS

Quote from: Kummok on October 28, 2006, 04:55:09 PM
Sure sounds great! Sure wish you lived in Homer, Mike....that would go GREAT with smoked feeder King! :)

Next time your going to pass through southwestern B.C., let me know and I'll brew a batch to share with that salmon. Sounds like a real good combo.  :)
Mike 

Malc

QuoteI brewed a very strong 'Winter Warmer' (barleywine) last season and saved a couple of 22 oz. bottles to try this Christmas.
I'm not sure I can wait.   
Could you post that recipe?  I am getting ready to do one myself, and I would be interested in what you did.  Also, would it transfer well to partial mash techniques?
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

MWS

Malc,

I tried some different things (experimented) with last years 'Winter Warmer'. I soaked 2 lbs of 2 row malt in brandy overnight, then smoked the grains using alder for 1-2 hours @ 180F. I also used candy sugar, which I usually AVOID doing because I don't like using adjuncts in my brew. The candy sugar was to increase the alcohol content (which it did). As for doing a partial mash, I don't see why not. Just replace the 8 lbs 2 row pale malt with extract (not sure how much). All the other grain ingredients can be 'steeped' in a nylon bag @ 152 F for about and hour, then remove the bag of grains and add the wort to your extract boil. If you use alot of extract then you can avoid the candy sugar. I think next time try brewing a high alcohol beer, I may use a can of extract in my boil instead of the sugar.

Ingredients:

8 lbs 2 row pale malt
2 lbs brandy soaked alder smoked 2 row malt
1 lbs dark crystal malt
0.5 lbs chocolate malt
1 cup candy sugar

2 oz willamette hops (60 minutes)
2 oz cascade hops (10 minutes)
dry hop with 1 oz willamette hops

something like that......Cheers

My house still has that wonderful fresh boiled wort smell from Saturdays Porter brew session...... :P ;D

Mike 

Malc

Thanks, that sounds good.  Somewhere I have a conversion chart for all grain to extract amounts.  If I find it I will post it.
QuoteMy house still has that wonderful fresh boiled wort smell from Saturdays Porter brew session...... 

My wife hates that smell.  One of the few pieces of evidence I have that she must be completely insane ;D

Malc

Malc

Hopefully you will see this, did you feel the brandy soak was imperative?  What does that actually do to the end product.  I have never seen that technique used before.  I want to give this a try, and I was just wondering.  Also, do you crack that grain before or after you smoke it?

Malc

MWS

Hey Malc,

Quote from: Malc on February 22, 2007, 03:47:41 PM
did you feel the brandy soak was imperative?  What does that actually do to the end product.  I have never seen that technique used before.  I want to give this a try, and I was just wondering. 
Malc

The brandy soak is not necessary. My reason behind this was to soften or rehydrate the barley somewhat so the smoke would penetrate more. I have tried this technique with scotch as well.
The topics I've read on smoking your own grain for brewing doesn't mention soaking the grain, so I'm not sure whether it makes a difference. It sure sounds impressive though when you tell those sampling your ale.  ;)

Quote from: Malc on February 22, 2007, 03:47:41 PM
Also, do you crack that grain before or after you smoke it?
Malc

No, I smoke the grains whole, then crack them before the brew session.

I am currently enjoying a batch that I have named 'Mike's Brutal Bitter'. This baby is the most hopped up ale I've ever brewed. I like it.....others? not so much. :D

Sunday I'm bottling a batch of my India Dark Espresso Ale. I seem to be in an experimental phase lately..... Cheers and let me know how your brew turns out
Mike 

Malc

QuoteI am currently enjoying a batch that I have named 'Mike's Brutal Bitter'. This baby is the most hopped up ale I've ever brewed. I like it.....others? not so much.

Sunday I'm bottling a batch of my India Dark Espresso Ale. I seem to be in an experimental phase lately..... Cheers and let me know how your brew turns out

Will do.  I am also a hop head.  Just tried a micro brew called Hazed and Infused.  It is a dry hopped ale.  Very good.  Thanks for the help.

Malc

Consiglieri

These experiments look fun, and combine two of my favorite pastimes: making and consuming.  Good luck with the projects guys.
Consiglieri