New digital smoker

Started by preston1, October 30, 2006, 07:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

preston1

I just ordered my new smoker today I should have it in a week or so. My sister inlaws boyfreind just got one recently and I just could not resist. I have been reading about thing like circulating fans and such. Well Any thing to make it better I am willing to do. I have the back ground to do anything with equipment ie electrical or mechanical. i would apriciate any tips.
Thanks

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: preston1 on October 30, 2006, 07:19:50 PM
I just ordered my new smoker today I should have it in a week or so. My sister inlaws boyfreind just got one recently and I just could not resist. I have been reading about thing like circulating fans and such. Well Any thing to make it better I am willing to do. I have the back ground to do anything with equipment ie electrical or mechanical. i would apriciate any tips.
Thanks

preston1,

Welcome to the forum.

The best thing to do is experiment, post your results, and compare notes with others. I find that drinking beer while smoking improves the experience. Of course, you mileage may vary.... 8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

coyote

I second that Arcs................Welcome Preston1 :) Stop in for Tuesday night
chat. This forum is a great place for sharing and learning.
And always remember.........Fill your cooler..........and then your BS.

Coyote

Gizmo

I'll third Arcs.  I haven't had my digital BS very long so can't give you much advice on experimenting but I have read a lot of posts on this board on modifying (fans, PIDs otherwise known as temperature control devices) as many of the folks on the forum have the original with only a slider for temp control.

Depending on what I am preparing, I tend to currently use my smoker for just infusing a rich smoke flavor into the chow.  I use more traditional methods to finish off many of the dishes to get the desired texture, look, taste, etc.  I have notice several here that do the same.  It all comes from looking at what others have done, attempting to duplicate, and adjusting to your (or the boss') taste.

I found the search feature to be very helpful to finding things.  Often the seasoned forum folks familiear with the best areas, will also post links to the areas you may be searching for.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

owrstrich

ftc is your friend...

start early and use ftc as time buffer...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

asa

Quote from: owrstrich on November 05, 2006, 01:37:57 PM
ftc is your friend...
start early and use ftc as time buffer...
you gotta eat...
owrstrich

How does this differ from putting stuff in the oven, wrapped well or covered, at ~ 165-175 degrees for the same amount of time?? 
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!