Anyone got good recipe for Prime Rib

Started by Hot Smokin Gal, August 06, 2004, 03:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Smokin Gal

Going to pick up a big Prime Rib roast and take the Bradley up North with me to celebrate completion of our cabin in the great northern woods of WI.  (Weve got 90 acres in a place called Oulu - middle of nowhere) Anyone got a good recipe for slow roast smoking it?  Waiting to receive copy of Great Sausage .... & Meat Curing.

Bassman

Kristine,
Here is a link with my experience with Prime Rib. It came out really good[:p] but had to make the juice on the stove.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=121

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

BigSmoker

HSG,
I have never tried this in my BS.  I've always done PR on my ceramic cooker.  Let us know how this turns out.  I have tried and true results with this link.http://www.primogrill.com/food/rum-primrib.htm  The man that posted this is a retired butcher.  He also has a site where he will answer questions about meat/poultry.  //www.ask-a-butcher.com I think this type procedure would work with the Bradley fine it would just take longer.  Which puck are you thinking about using?  Has anyone tried a spatchcocked chicken on their Bradley?[:D]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

Jeff,

Been watchin' Martha tonight? I'm embarrassed I know that![:I]

HSG,

I've done them & they're fantastic. Spice the hell out of it, make sure the fat cap isn't removed & put a rack of the crappiest bacon you can find above it. Just make sure you monitor the water pan a couple times during cooking & empty & refill it.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Hot Smokin Gal

Thanks again. You guys are great.  Just back from another weekend up north.  Should take just one more weekend and then celebration time.  I would really HATE to ruin a beautiful $70 piece of meat (I'm feeding a small army with my husband and his brothers).

owrstrich

me and micki are in seattle... we are at the studio plus which is a cooking hotel... we have a 110v outlet by the pool so we were thinking about smoking a prime rib next weekend...

my question is this...

with brisket we took it to 180 degrees with a long rendering period in the 160 and 170 degree range...

if we pull the prime rib out at 130 or 140 there will be no rendering...

i understand we want the rib rare and juicy but why no rendering... is it because the quality difference of brisket and rib...

life is good...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

jaeger

owrstrich,
  The prime rib is a much more tender piece of meat. I would cook it to at least 135 degrees. 140 would put it about medium. Have fun in Seattle! [:)][:D][8D]

Chez Bubba

Personally, I take mine out at 120 & the 10 minute rest brings it up to 125, but I prefer mine on the rare side. That's why ya make taters or rice, something to soak up the "juice".[:)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

I do a prime grade Black Angus every year. I have yet to do the following with a smoked rib. One of the tricks I do is to make a stock pot and cook is slow for 20 or so hours. I put in it crushed egg shells, egg whites, NO egg yoke. 3-4 onions chopped skin and all. Celery. Carrots. Beef shank with meat. No pototo and NO tomato. NO pork and NO chicken. We are not making a soup.

After cooking strain this twice using a good bar towel. Discard the everything but the liquid. Place liquid into a clean pot. Bring back to a soft boil. Now for salt use a quality beef bouillon. For pepper use a little white pepper. Next add enough worcestershire sauce to where you can just think you can taste it. After that you can add more to suit your taste. However, it can become over powering real fast.

What you have now is one of the best beef Au Jus you can imagine. Next when your beef is 5 degrees lower than the eating temp. you normally cook it to take a clean ice chest. Place the beef into the chest and take your hot boiling Au Jus and cover the beef with it. The beef will continue to cook and the Au Jus will pick up a better beef favoring.

As I said I have not tried this with a smoked rib before but I will be doing so soon. However you might want to give this a shot.

With the left over Au Jus I use it to make the best vegtable beef soup you can find.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Bassman

Olds,
Thanks for sharing the recipe for beef Au Jus. It sounds really good. I copied it and will be trying it in the near future. I never would have thought to put egg shell in it. It must add to the flavor somehow.Can't wait to try it, Thanks again[:D][:p]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Cold Smoke

Hey Olds! I've had my eye on this recipe since you first posted it. My mouth has been watering ever since. I've got my prime rib roast marinating as I type and will toss in the BS tomorrow. I think oak  will be the added ingredient. Not much discussion about oak here usually. [?] MMMMmmmmm......can't wait. I'm a little hesitant about your "secret ingredient"- egg shells- but am anxious to taste the results. I won't have 20 hrs to have the au jus flavorize -perhaps 8 hrs or so. Will that affect the final outcome considerably?

By the way- when you reply to this it will be #500 for you.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Cold Smoke

smokin zo

This is ironic. I was just thinking today that I want to do a whole prime rib in the BS for Christmas. Looking forward to seeing any hints or recipes

Enzo

Cold Smoke

It's Saturday night....having a pint of homemamde pilsener while the other half watches the billionaire with the crappy do and hot fiance[:p][B)][B)][B)]~~~she's nothing[;)][;)]- thinking about my prime rib tomorrow.... I've got the outlaws coming over for din-din and was wondering if this prime rib will have a grey leathery exterior or will it have time to develop a bark on the exterior- assuming I pull once the internal temp hits 125-130*. Should I do a quick minute on the grill to brown the exterior after it hits required temp?? How <font color="red"></font id="red">long will this take to reach this temp? Approx 5 lbs. I'm thinking of doing the FTC thing for 30-60 minutes prior to slicing and hitting the dinner plate. BTW- It's bathing in red wine, red wine vinegar, rosemary, garlic, thyme, EVOO - S&S recipe... It smells so good ~~~ might just eat this sucker raw...with baked potato ~~~ or some yummy wild rice. Don't forget the horseradish...

Recently tried some sushi....my first sushi experience- [:I]Not many places in sunny Manitoba serving this dish. Lots of tasty walleye and whitetail this fall...Anyhoos, this sushi was served up with something green and avocado-texture like. Wasabi they called it. I call it Dynamite. <font color="red">Can you say HOT???? </font id="red"> It makes horseradish taste like ice cream. The ol' taste bugs were screamin'...

Cold Smoke

nsxbill

I was raised in Japan in the1954 to 1957 - Father in the Navy.  I tried a lot of fish.  Sushi was commonly consumed by the Japanese guards watching government housing.  Never acquired a taste for it.  Only way I enjoy it is baiting a hook with it.  Don't eat bait!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

nsxbill

Chez,

The reference to a recipe or technique for Prime Rib isn't at the post you referred to.  I remember something more extensive.  Didn't you post up a really focused description for fixing, tying the ribs back on, etc.?

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.