Smokin a Turkey, DESPERATE FOR SOME HELP!!!

Started by BillyG, October 31, 2006, 03:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyG

I posted this thread in the SS Topic Forum but I'm not getting feedback(mods please to kill me).....  I really need help guys, PLEASE give me some feedback

Alright, I'm going to go off my beatin track of having only smoked ribs in my Bradley so far.  I haven't had it very long.  But before my Mom goes back "over the pond" to London I'd like to give her the best Turkey dinner she's ever had.  I'm thinking smoking the turkey will be the way to go, something completely different than what she's ever had.  I'd also like to impress my step-father as well.  So I need a little advice, I'll list the items that I'm thinking will give me trouble.  If anyone can chime in on any or all of them please do.....

1.  Cooking temp.  I'm figuring about a 10 lbs +/- bird...any calculation on hours/lb at a certain temp???

2.  I only have Hickory flavored briquettes right now, will they kill the taste or am I safe using them???

3.  GRAVY?  I'm hoping that the turkey will be so moist the meat won't be drowned in gravy but I'd still like to have it there for some additional flavor.  Am I safe using an aluminum pan with a little water to catch the drippings and if so where should I put it in regards to the turkey???  I was think of putting just above the dripping rack, or whatever it's called that is closer to the bottom of the smoker but making sure I still have plenty of area left for heat and smoke to rise.

4. Brining???  Should I bother???  I know this will make a more tender, juicy turkey but will smoking it without a brine still make it that much better than roasting in an oven???

I want to do this it this Thursday so PLEASE give me as much help as possible, I want Mommy dearest leaving with fond memories of her last feast her until next year.

Thanks in advance too guys, I'm sure I'll get plenty of feedback for you!!!

robs

I don't know the answer, but jump in the chatroom tonight and someone will help you for sure...

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/

boxertrio

Have done a few turkeys and alot of yard birds.  I don't brine mine, but I but turkeys that say something like "preserved in a 5% solution for freshness".  I crank up the ole BS and keep her at about 300 till the thigh temp is 165, breast 170.  I use pecan, but hickory should be fine.  Might only use 9 pucks with hickory.

Don't think the pan for drippings will hurt anything, but never tried it.

The cooking instructions on the bird should give you pretty good idea of cook times.

Like robs said, the chat is an awesome place to get info.
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

robs

I'm sure you googled it too, but must of the pages I visited said 30 minutes / lb.

Check out this awesome picture http://www.eatturkey.com/consumer/smoking.htm

Lots of links out there. It would be nice to find someone who's done it in the BS though.

Good luck.

asa

So if you're going to do your turkey all the way in the BS, then don't sweat the gravy. Just use canned chicken broth. The secret to good gravy is in making the roux. For fowl and other light meat, make a really dark roux. Add some veggies (carrots, onions, celery, and garlic) for flavor, and then use chicken broth for the liquid. You can also use some milk if you wish. It will be so good that I guarantee no one will care if you did or didn't use turkey juices for it. And the beauty is that you can do it a day ahead and not have to mess with it (except for warming up) at the time of serving.

Good luck Billy - let us know how it turns out.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Habanero Smoker

I've done several turkeys in the BS, but I could not give you a time frame, because I never did just a turkey. I would often have some chicken parts in there or ABT's. The higher the cabinet temperature the better, and remember to keep your vent open at least 1/2 at the beginning.

Hickory will be fine, as mentioned earlier keep the smoke between 2:40 - 3:00 hours.

You can use an aluminum pan. As long as it does not completely block the flow to heat and smoke. I wouldn't put any water in that pan. If the drippings dry in the pan, you can always deglaze it. Also when you remove the turkey form the BS there will be a lot of juices trapped in the cavity. So be careful when removing the bird. I have basted my foot on several occasions. When you remove the bird, just carefully tilt it so the juices will run into the aluminum pan.

Brining makes the best finished product, but if you have a kosher turkey or a self-basting turkey you do not need to brine them. It has already been done for you.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

robs

The recipe for Maple Butter & Herbs Hickory Smoked Vermont Turkey in this pdf sounds worth trying.

http://www.grilldome.com/GDForum/messages/8/Grill_Dome_TDay_2004-1785.pdf

BillyG

Well I hope I haven't spoken too soon but it seems like this is gonna be somewhat easy.  Not to many "tricks of the trade" like there are w/ribs. 

Time has been sparce lately so I haven't been able to get to it but I will and when I get the finished product I'll let you all know how I make out.

Thanks as usual Habs!!!

Malc

Is a large stainless steel pot okay for brining a turkey?

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Malc on November 07, 2006, 06:22:13 AM
Is a large stainless steel pot okay for brining a turkey?

Malc

If it is at least 18/10 grade stainless steel it should be alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Malc

Hmmm...not sure about that.  Is there any way to tell?  It is a large and IMO good quality stock pot.  Maybe I should err on the side of caution and just buy a big plastic container.

Malc

aha638

If you are concerned, just line it with a plastic trash bag.

Al

Habanero Smoker

It's usually marked on the bottom of the cookware. Most cookware is 18/10, but I was on the safe side when stating that. Most stainless steel will be alright. It's just that the lower grade may present a problem.

I would be concerned using a trash bag, they are not approved for food use; though I know people use them. Around this time of year you can find plastic brining bags that will hold up to a 24 pound turkey. They are made by both Glad and Zip Lock, and come in a variety of sizes. I would find those and line the pan.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MWS

I did a 10 pound (unbrined) Turkey last month and I actually took notes  :o

1. I smoked with apple for 3 hours @ 210F
2. I then removed the bowl, dumped the spent pucks, washed it and then placed the bowl with a little apple juice back in the Bradley to catch the drippings.
3. I continued the cook @ 210F for a total time of 8.5 hours and the deepest part of the thigh read 165F.

I made a gravy using chicken broth, herbs and the bowl drippings I collected.

My dinner guests said it was the best turkey they ever had. I agreed  ;D

Edit: I corrected this post to say bowl instead of drip pan. Oooops Sorry BillyG
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Malc

Quote1. I smoked with apple for 3 hours @ 210F
2. I then removed the drip pan, dumped the spent pucks, washed it and then placed the pan with a little apple juice back in the Bradley to catch the drippings.
3. I continued the cook @ 210F for a total time of 8.5 hours and the deepest part of the thigh read 165F.

Sounds good mws.

QuoteAround this time of year you can find plastic brining bags that will hold up to a 24 pound turkey
Good tip, that is what I will do.  Thanks.

Malc