Pork Butt and Baby Backs

Started by Partagas, August 07, 2004, 06:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partagas

I am smoking a 8 pound pork but and also want to do four racks of baby back ribs- since the butt will take much longer what is the best plan of action-

I was planning on Top Shelfing the butt and smoking for 2 hours then let cook for another 4-6 hours. Then putting the baby backs in and add more smoke for another 2-3 Hours.

My main concern is whether the pork but will still reap the rewards of the second smoking or will it be cooked to much already to get any benefit. Any help or a totally new game plan would be great.

Partagas

Italian Saying-Bacco, tabacco e Venere riducono l'uomo in cenere (Wine, women, and tobacco can ruin a man)-I AM DONE FOR!

BigSmoker

Partagas,
The meat will continue to absorb smoke until you quit adding smoke.  IMHO, after about 150f the amount of absorbtion starts to diminish.  I think there is a thread about smoke absorbtion somewhere I'll try and find it and post the link later. I would start the butt on the lowest shelf and maybe put some cheap bacon above it, put the ribs in later then move the butt higher(this is the time to eat the bacon[:p])  Check the water level when adding ribs(and maybe more bacon).  Just remember every time you open the door you loose massive amounts of heat.  I would also only add the amount of pucks i wanted for the first smoke and leave the smoke gen. on so your temp stays consistent.
Check this link for smoke adsorbtionhttp://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=443
Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Partagas

Thanks-I ended up doing four hours of smoke on the butt just to be sure, plus I am using Maple wood so I figure an extra few hours when the ribs go in can't hurt anyway.

Thanks I will add the bacon for next time and I will start the butt on the bottom. I had it in already before I got your post and I took your advice and did not open the door to shift it lower.

I will add some bacon over the ribs- Thanks for the help-

I live in New Jersey so the houses are fairly close-Last night was very cool and everyone has their windows open-I know alot of people must be waking up starving after smelling this thing go fo the last 7 hours-

Italian Saying-Bacco, tabacco e Venere riducono l'uomo in cenere (Wine, women, and tobacco can ruin a man)-I AM DONE FOR!

Partagas