Just purchased the original bradley...questions

Started by slicklefty, November 06, 2006, 06:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slicklefty

I just brought the new unit home, I can't wait to start smokin!!!!  It's the black original.

I am a convert from a brinkman charcoal...lots of good times but lots of work.  I was fascinated by the bradley since I found it on the internet, this forum helped convince me.

People have talked about seasoning their smoker...unsure about how, why etc?

What thermometer do you use in the meat?  Do you run one out through the upper vent?

What are the metal pucks that Chez bubba sells?

Can't decide what to smoke first...so many things...so little time!

With Thanksgiving coming should I try to smoke a turkey?

I am planning on placing the unit in my garage, use window and door for initial ventilation...may try and run a dryer vent tube...any thoughts.

All suggestions/thoughts are appreciated!  Thanks!

Slick

boxertrio

How to season your Bradley
http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129

First smoke help
http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160

Most people use a Maverick ET-73 dual probe thermometer.  It has a box probe and a meat probe.  Or you can buy a couple of cheaper thermo's and get good results.  Drop it through the top, or fix it to a middle rack.

Bubba pucks are used as filler biscuits to push the last of your pucks onto the burner with out wasting wood, usually need 3.

Turkeys are a pretty easy smoke, there is a thread in the Meat section that was just started on turkeys.

Dryer tube (aluminum) is a great idea, here is my setup

Welcome and good luck
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Wildcat

Yeah what he said.  Seriously, welcome to the forum.  I, like you am fairly new to the BS.  I have done some smoking with another larger brand and many years of grilling.  Adult beverages makes it easier a lot more fun.  If it does not turn out just right simply have another round or two and you will never notice.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

QuoteBubba pucks are used as filler biscuits to push the last of your pucks onto the burner with out wasting wood, usually need 3.

Just like to add that the bubba pucks also keep the heater element a whole lot cleaner as well which is a GOOD thing!!  ;D  Enjoy your new BS and welcome to the forum slicklefty.
Manxman

slicklefty

Thanks for the info...keep it coming.

The bubba pucks...do they get placed at the end X3 or interspaced between the wood pucks?  Still a little confused.

iceman

Quote from: slicklefty on November 08, 2006, 03:01:29 PM
Thanks for the info...keep it coming.

The bubba pucks...do they get placed at the end X3 or interspaced between the wood pucks?  Still a little confused.
You put them at the back of the stack. These are the LAST pucks to be pushed through the generator.  ;)
End X 3 like you said.