Low and Slow Ribs?

Started by jimbob67, August 10, 2004, 04:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob67

Hi, all, meet the proud owner of a new SS Bradley!

I've smoked BBQ for almost 30 years on anything from a Hasty Bake to my new favorite, a Klose Pit Smoker.  The Bradley really looks like it will serve my needs for smaller amounts of food.

One question---the recipe book calls for precooking Back Ribs for an hour or so, then finishing them in the Bradley.

Why not just cook them in the Bradley, for, say, 6 or 7 hours at maybe 200, then just finishing them over coals with some sauce?  

Can I do a shoulder for 12+ hours in the Bradley?

Can't seem to find much info on this, but can't wait to experiment!

Thanks in advance,

JimBob

ruffinit

welcome aboard jimbo!just click on all forums ,you'll find a wealth of info for most all questions.most subjects have more than one page,so you can start at beginning,and learn from others,trial and successes and errors.i would'nt put much faith or effort into the bradley cookbook,get [smoke and spice] bill and cheryl jamison.good luck,and happy smokin.you got a great product with the b.s.

mike

Chez Bubba

What ruffy said.

Plus, I can tell from your questions, you know far better what to do with your smoker than the Bradley booklet. Anyone with a lot of previous experience with other units has a pretty small learning curve.

Ditto S&S, #1 in my shelf.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Eat This

look at the forums........NO you dont need to boil ribs....although some members leave home for 8 hours and hve the daughter turn down the temp...LOL (you know who you are)

yes....12 hours is NO problem for the bradley...I've seen 24 hour smokes in here.......your best bet is to just click and browse....You will find many recipes and tips in this forumn...all tips arent in the "meat" forum for example.....

Eat This

1 more thing....as far as space goes...get an extra set of racks and "invert" them on your other racks.....for things like ribs...sausage...jerky..chicken breast...you have just doubled your space and can feed an army

MallardWacker

jimbo,

Here is my referance point and observations, but I think you probably have a better handle on things than I.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=161&whichpage=1

Oh, and welcome to the group, have fun!

Eats: I love you to man......

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

jimbob67

Hi, all, thanks for your suggestions!  I tried the recipe for marinated flank steak over the weekend (also using tri-tip) and it worked out great!

Although I'm still learning this (looks like that will be fun!) a few things come to mind.

I don't think I'll be using the extra racks I bought, at least not for the ribs.  You could fit them in OK,  but I think you really need space between all the ribs for the smoke (and heat) to circulate.  In my past experiences, I've given up basting the ribs---doesn't seem to make any difference I've been able to tell. Of course, in the Bradley, you do lose a lot of heat every time you open the door.

I am doing 7 racks of St. Louis (my favorite) ribs today, planning to finish them to within
"this far" of being done. I go by the bones---when the meat is pulling away, they're getting close.  The rub is use is "Bone Sucker's" that, believe it or not, I find at my local Ace Hardware! There are plenty of good recipes (I have some, if anyone needs one) but this stuff is great!

I plan on "low and slow" cooking, at about 200 degrees max.  I probably will only open the door once or twice, to rotate racks and check the water (OK so I used beer) in the pan.

At the end, wrapping these first in plastic wrap, THEN in foil keeps them ready to go. On our RV camping trip this weekend, I'll finish them over hot coals with whatever sauce I have (Bone Suckers makes a good sauce, too!), just about 5 minutes per side, to caramalize the sauce.

At least, this is what I INTEND to do.  I've precooked in my oven before, then finished as described, and that has worked great! In fact, if you do a Google for "Roadhouse Grill Ribs" you can probably find that recipe.

I'll try to post an update to this, assuming of course the ribs don't look like charcol!

Smoke on, y'all!!

Jimbob

nsxbill

Sounds like a good plan.  I am anxious to try ribs again.  For those who don't already have an extra set of racks, a suggestion:  Get the jerkey racks.  That way you have extra and they work just as well as the others, but you have the smaller grill opening size too for the times you want to do jerkey.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jimbob67</i>
<br />Can I do a shoulder for 12+ hours in the Bradley?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Oops, read over that the first time. Answer is absolutely yes. Do them all the time. You can even do 2 at a time if they're cut into halfsies. My max smoke is about 40# but beware that it will take a lot longer than 15#. Gotta have a little practice & DON'T OPEN THE DOOR!--except to switch out the water bowl.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?