A quick "HOW & WHY" on ribs to get you started.

Started by iceman, November 08, 2006, 01:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Iceman...thank you...I have no questions...:)

yul

:) Thanks Iceman, everything you need to know about ribs in one post.  :D
           That's it,, ribs this week end  :o  ;)
Brian. Montreal.

aces-n-eights

Good stuff!  What is the trick to removing the membrane?
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

West Coast Kansan

:D :D Removing the membrane is about which foot you stand on and how you hold your mouth.  - - - Sometimes it is easy and sometimes I end up just scoring in a lot.   :-[ :-[

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

haellc

WHat i do to remove the membrane is one make sure your ribs are completely thawed. With a dull point butter knife I insert it over a bone and slightly lift the membrane enough to get my finger underneath it. I take my time and gently remove the membrane, try not to let it start to rip or it will be difficult to get it all compltely off.
Good Luck

iceman

Quote from: aces-n-eights on May 05, 2008, 06:31:13 PM
Good stuff!  What is the trick to removing the membrane?

I use catfish skinning pliers. They ran me about $3.50 at Sportsman warehouse.

aces-n-eights

Quote from: haellc on May 06, 2008, 04:21:34 AM
WHat i do to remove the membrane is one make sure your ribs are completely thawed. With a dull point butter knife I insert it over a bone and slightly lift the membrane enough to get my finger underneath it. I take my time and gently remove the membrane, try not to let it start to rip or it will be difficult to get it all compltely off.
Good Luck

Thanks!  And i'll try to figure out which foot to stand on  ;D
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

La Quinta

And WCK scores a lot...you guys should pay attention to that!! :)

Ontrack

Or, you can always use a chainsaw with a non kickback chain...those bones can be tricky... ::)

kiyotei

I find removing the membrane to be an adventure.  some days it pulls right off, other days its a nightmare.  My favorite tools are a small spoon and bottle opener with the sharp pointing side which is used to pierce metal can tops.  I slide the spoon under the membrane to try and loose it up before pulling it.  I use a paper towel to get  a better grip on the slippery membrane.  When that fails to work I grab my bottle opener and use that pointy side to scrape at the membrane to help remove it or at least score it a lot.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

tsquared

I got inspired by Iceman's post and smoked about 9 lbs of spareribs today. I used a a recipe out of Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ--Honey Mustard Ribs with Brown Sugar Rub (pg. 218)--unbelievable! I pretty much followed the recipe except used Vancouver Island Babe's Wild Flower honey and cut back on the black pepper. Recipe as follows:
Slather
1/4 C spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2T clover honey
2 T white wine vinegar

Brown Sugar Rub
1/2 c firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 T garlic salt
2 T seasoned salt
1 T onion salt
1 T celery salt
1 T ground black pepper
1 T rubbed sage
1 tsp dried rosemary leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme

2 slabs of baby backs  ( I used 6 slabs of spares and tripled the above quantities)

So put the slather on, then the rub and smoke as Iceman's instructions. I took the ribs out after 2 hours (I couldn't find my spritzer bottle to moisten the ribs in the smoker) and put them in a roasting pan with 1/2 cup of apple juice, 1/4 cup rye whiskey and 1/4 cup maple syrup. I used the mixture to moisten the ribs and then used it as a braising liquid in the bottom of the pan. I covered it with foil and cooked in the oven at 210 for 3 hours.

As a dipping sauce I made "Spicy Honey Mustard BBQ " (pg 152 from Championship BBQ)
2C spicy brown mustard
1 C honey
1 C brown sugar
1/3 C horseradish
1/4 cup dry vermouth ( I used sherry vinegar instead)
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T pressed garlic
1 T ground pepper
2 tsp cayenne (I left this out)
1 tsp fresh ground cumin

Combine all the above. I quartered this recipe and it was plenty for 5 people.

This is a fabulous recipe and was a nice change from the traditional Kansas City style ribs I usually do. It was a birthday present dinner for the 9 year old son of our best friends. I have personally turned this kid into a rib fiend with the help of the Bradley, so when my wife and I were trying to decide what to get him for his birthday, we decided to send him a certificate stating "The bearer of this card is entitled to one rib dinner at Tom's house." He was over the moon. :D

T2

iceman

Way to go T2. Sounds like you made made a kid real happy. My hats off to folks like you.