Digital Generator Cord for Cold Smoke

Started by West Coast Kansan, November 12, 2006, 08:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

The following parts can be used to replace the short cord from the Digital Smoke Generator to the tower.   Radio Shack 273-1740 Power Cord with two 273-1716 Radio Shack Adaptaplugs, Type M.

Watch the polarity.

The heavy cord is simply left disconnected.

The longer cord is needed to allow the Digital Smoke Generator to be removed from the tower and rigged up through a box and dryer vent pipe before being reconnected to the tower (same set up as Bradley Origional users have posted) The puck burner on the Digital Smoke Generator will not work without the small cord connected.  The tower temp continues to display on the Digital Generator with the small cord connected.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Mr Walleye

Good job researching that out WCK. I'll just add that in Canada Radio Shack was bought out by The Source by Circuit City. The part number for the type M is the same except it doesn't have the hyphen (2731716). I haven't been able to find the cord yet. When I do I will post the number.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

I picked up the ends but was unable to get the correct wire. So I got creative and made my own. Works perfect.
I also noticed the power supply wire from the smoke generator to the main unit is just a computer monitor power cable that was used when you plug it into the power supply on the back of the CPU. I'll have to scrounge around, I'm sure I have a couple of those around.

Like I had said before, because I have my BS mounted in my heated garage I want to be able to mount the smoke generator permanently away from the main unit to allow for cold smoking.

West Coast Kansan

Be sure to post the updated pictures of your set up - when your finished.  Glad it works for you. Take Care

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

West Coast Kansan

Greetings Mr Walleye, wondering if you put your smoke generator on the bottom shelf of your cart and what you used for an interface box? Did you id something that is stronger and better than a cardboard box?  What did you do for a door on the interface to allow you to change water?  How was the flow of smoke? Did you try the flow with and without your exhaust fan?

Gizmo

Here is the highly sophisticated setup I put together.  Will try the dog food container as seen in another's post for a more permanent setup.  I am sure the buttkicker box will not last for ever but is has served its purpose well.
Finally got the account on photobucket set up so I thought I'd post these for you WCK.

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Thanks for the pictures.  The 6 rack looks taller than I thought it would be - just from the specs.  I think the box your thinking about is from a TomG posting.

Hey, That looks like BACON!

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4199.msg36392#msg36392

I guess I need to put a pool in the back yard so I have more electrical outlets available. I don't see an ethernet connection on the patio - are you wireless at home?

Gizmo

Yes, TomG is the post I was referencing.  I think the sturdy plastic would hold some contact posts like on the side of the BS so this could be a quick connect and disconnect.  Now if I could find a part number for the ones Bradley used.

The outlet is quite handy and GFI protected.  The area is quite protected from what little wind we have so not much fluctuation from that element.  Guess I should have tidy up the cords a bit.  Was too excited to power up the unit and get the smoke rolling on the scallops.

West Coast Kansan

I was thinking of a Mr Walleye type of idea where the cold smoke box would be permanent and the generator would just stay there all the time.  If a strong enough interface box could be found, a person could hang the generator off a couple of bolts run through the wall of the interface box. Use a couple of nuts on each side of the wall of the box to hold them secure and a spacer the same size of the nut below the puck ramp to keep the generator level.  Would be fine if the puck burner is not needed to reach a desired high temperature or to help keep an even temperature (baffle the swings).  Mr. Walleye has a heated garage - no wind and all that... seems SD is temperate enough we could get by? Rambling thoughts, I have not tried to invent anything yet.

Gizmo

The temp swing and added heat for the bitter cold nights we have around here (you know around 32 deg) is why I was leaning toward the convertable mods.  But, on a more serious (almost) note, being closer to the ocean, you probably don't see the temps swing that low with the big pacific buffering some of the temp.  Since this will be the first winter with the BS, not sure how it will behave under all the conditions.

West Coast Kansan

I have been thinking about what to do - but no action yet. Hoping Mr W is after it and posts results. I have the smoker on a wierd little laundry cart thing. It has room under the shelf the smoker sets on so it could be set up pretty easily if i would get after making the box.  The cart is nice sized and allows me to wheel the hole thing into back yard shed.

Mr Walleye

HEY West Coast Kansan

I haven't decided on what I will use for an interface box. I would really like to use stainless steel but i haven't came up with anything yet. I felt the stainless would be strong enough to allow the smoke generator to be hung on the side. The design will have to incorporate a door to change the water. Looking through the posts I see some have used 3/4 inch plywood. I don't know about this idea with all the bonding agents used in plywood. It's just the interface box that is holding me back right now. Hmmmmm......

Gizmo

Looks like we need a SS metal worker to whip up some fancy box with the smoke gen and metal dryer hose attachments.  Door with smoke proof seal. 
Wow, almost started writing a requirements document.  Good thing I caught myself.

Mr Walleye

West Coast Kansan

Mr. W. I agree with you on plywood - not sure, but I suppose it will season eventually and we may not generate enough heat to pull vapor?. Spill water on wood and bug things grow better, also way too easy to work with reduces that pain. What about sheet metal just tacked to some lighter plywood. Metal lined and the plywood provides some strength to hold the generator. The nice thing about cardboard is it does not hold heat - all metal temp could go up after a while especially in a nice warm garage with no wind - effects the length of vent pipe needed. Just thinking out loud

Gizmo, need you to finish the specs on this thing seems like your collecting the user needs... - techy guy.