Circulation Fan Information

Started by Mr Walleye, November 14, 2006, 11:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

I have read everything on the modification. I am in the process of rounding up the motor and fan blades but have ran into a problem. Here in Canada "Grainger" is called "Acklands - Grainger". Their part number for the motor is DMD4M079 but I can't find a listing for the 2" fan blade.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Quote from: Mr Walleye on November 14, 2006, 11:21:11 AM
I have read everything on the modification. I am in the process of rounding up the motor and fan blades but have ran into a problem. Here in Canada "Grainger" is called "Acklands - Grainger". Their part number for the motor is DMD4M079 but I can't find a listing for the 2" fan blade.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
The Axial Flow Propellers as Dayton Motors call them are listed in the HVAC section of the Grainger catalog around page 3744 in the 396# catalog.
The 2" blade that fits the 4M079 shaded pole stud mount motor with the 3/16" shaft size is Grainger # 2C948. They also have other sizes.
Hope this helps out. :)

Mr Walleye

Hi Iceman

I have the part numbers for both the motor and the fan blades from the US site (www.grainger.com). Unfortunately that doesn't do me any good here in Canada. I did manage to find the motor on the Canadian site (www.acklandsgrainger.com). It has a similar part number (DMD4M079) but unfortunately I can't find the fan blade.

Thanks

iceman

Bummer Mr Walleye! If you get in a bind let me know and I'll go to Grainger here in Alaska and order the motor and fan for you and mail it to you. Living up here in the north makes sourcing items difficult at best so I understand the problems you can have. Good luck and don"t hesitate to get in touch if you run into a snag. ;)

Mr Walleye

Thanks for the offer Iceman!

I really appreciate it but I just got back from Acklands - Grainger here and we did manage to find the correct numbers. It took them awhile but we got them ordered anyway.

On another note...
Here is what my plan is so far.

I will use a large square electrical box like SmokehouseRob did. The brackets I will make from 1.5 inch flat aluminium, bent in an "L" shape and extended from the sides of the electrical box all the way to the edge of the BS. By doing it this way it should provide maximum support for the motor. I'm assuming the hole size to drill through the back of the BS would be 1/4 inch which would be 1/16th inch larger than the shaft size. I'm also assuming the cooling fan would be installed in a fashion so it blew air back over the motor. I've done allot of reading on this mod and I'm a little confused on how to reverse this motor to make it CCW.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks Guys!

winemakers

the c-frame motor I bought from granger was mechanically reversible.  You essentially pulled out the shaft and inserted it from the other side and wa'la, reversed direction.  That is stated in the granger description.

ps:  I had to drill out the fan arbor to fit the larger shaft for the reversible motor.  Aluminum arbor, piece of cake mod.

mld

Mr Walleye

Hi Winemaker

Ok... I think I have my brain around this now!
I went back to the Grainger site, near the bottom of the page there is a row of tabs across the page. The second tab over is "additional information". Clicked on that and it indicates "Sleeve bearing models are mechanically reversible"... Thanks Winemaker.

Sorry Chez Bubba!  ::) ::) ::)
I should have known to post this here under accessories.

Toker

I'm in the same problem cant find the blades number could someone nice enough to point it for me pls.(in the Canadian site of grainger) thx

Mr Walleye

Toker

What I did was print off the information from grainger.com and took it into the Acklands-Grainger store here in Saskatchewan. They somehow cross referenced it and special ordered them for me.

Mike

PS
Here is the link to the blade on the Grainger (USA) site.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?from=Search&newSrch=yes&operator=keywordSearch&search_type=keyword&action=Go%21&QueryString=2C948&submit.x=13&submit.y=7

Toker

You had the same idea than me but thx anyway. The only thing that get me sad its with this setup, i wont be able to add a 2nd heat element since i don't want to loose any rack of my obs because it doesn't blow enough like the susanminor says. :'( Can't have everything in this world.