smoking beef ribs

Started by jimguy, November 15, 2006, 09:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimguy

I just read Iceman's very informative post about smoking pork ribs. Kiyotei asked about smoking beef ribs. I am still in the learning stage but have had some great success with them.

Iceman's explaination of breaking down the collagen by low slow cooking applies to all meat, not just pork.

I like to use beef back ribs. The most difficult part of beef ribs is finding ribs with a good amount of meat on them. Most ribs I see in the meat counters come from a processor where the majority of the meat is trimmed off making the unsuitable for smoking. On a lucky day I do find some that the local meat cutters have cut to make boneless rib steaks. Those work great.

Following is the procedure I learned from:

Del King shares his beef rib smoking secrets
By Bill Wight, cbbqa member
Posted August 11, 2003

If you have ever had the pleasure of eating a beef rib smoked by Texan Del King, you have had a real Texas treat.  I asked Del if he would share his secrets with us and here is his method of smoking beef ribs, Texas-style.

I like to start with meaty beef ribs--center cut if possible.  Just like pork ribs you need to pull the membrane off the back.

If I am going to remove the membrane from several racks I will use catfish skinning pliers. Or you can use the standard method of butter knife and a paper towel.

Remove the fat that was between the two membranes after the outer membrane is removed.

Brush or rub the front and back of the ribs with cheap yellow mustard and then add your favorite rub. With Beef ribs I try to use a rub with no or very little sugar. [see below] Do not apply a very thick amount of rub--a thin coat is all you will need.

A Texas Secret--Along the bone edges take and pack Brown sugar along the entire sides. This will help seal in your juices.

Let the rub and mustard blend and form into a paste.

Place ribs into your smoker membrane side up for the first 3 hours. After 3 hours turn the ribs over so the membrane side is down for the rest of the cooking time.

Cook the ribs for 5.5 hrs to 7 hrs.

Try to maintain your pit temperature at 225F for the entire cooking time.

Now cooking for such a long period of time you will have some pull back on the meat from the bones. This is OK. I know some folks say they can cook their beef ribs without the pull back. You can do it too but you will have to raise the temperature and cook for a shorter time. They will not be as tender as with my method.

After 5 hours you can start basting the ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce. (as long as it is a no or low sugar sauce). If your sauce is a high sugar sauce wait until 30 minutes prior to removing your ribs before you add your sauce. The sugar will caramelize and turn black if you leave it in the cooker too long.

If you do add your barbecue sauce at the 5-hour point, you can add 3 coats (lightly) between now and the time to remove your tender beef ribs.

After about 6 hours, start checking your ribs they--should be very close to being tender and ready.

Any time from 6 to 7 hours and your ribs will be done. It depends on how close you kept your temperature at 225F.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a rub you can start with for beef ribs.  Modify it to suit your personal tastes.

Danny Gaulden's General-Purpose Dry Rub w/o sugar

3/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/4 cup black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Mix ingredients together and store in an air-tight jar.

iceman

Great post jimguy. Thanks. This is a must try for sure. ;)