Cottage Bacon (a.k.a. Hillbilly)

Started by MWS, October 01, 2006, 09:24:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

I just tried some of my Cottage bacon experiment. I will never buy bacon again  ;D. This so easy and gratifying. This may be the best thing to come out of my Bradley.

What I did:

1. bought a 3 lb. pork shoulder roast and cut it in half horizontally.
2. mixed up 3 Tbls MTQ and 3 Tbls brown sugar and rubbed this into the two peices of shoulder.
3. placed the meat into a large ziplock bag and left it in the fridge @ 37F for 7 days. 
4. After 3 days I flipped the bag leaving the liquid in.
5. On day 7, I removed the meat and rinsed and soaked for two hours.

***So far this is from great advice I recieved from the CURING Forum**(MW and gang)

-What I did different-

6. placed the meat into a new ziplock bag and added 1/4 cup maple syrup and 1/3 cup applejuice and let marinade overnight (8 hours). Note: the marinade absorbed into the meat
7. removed the shoulder pieces from the bag and brushed on maple syrup all over.
8. smoked the meat at 200F using 3 hrs hickory till IT reached 152F (5 hours)
9. wrapped the bacon in foil for 1 hour, then re-wrapped in plastic wrap overnight in the fridge.

THE RESULTS:

Tasted just like bacon without all the fat. Very nice distinct maple aroma and flavour. Hickory smoke flavour just right.

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

owrstrich

that sounds easy to make and looks even more easy to eat... now im gonna have to fire up the stove and the oscar mayer...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Nice job.

I'm a little at a loss for what you are calling a pork shoulder roast. For some reason I cannot connect your images with that name.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MWS

Quote from: Oldman on October 01, 2006, 03:11:26 PM
Nice job.

I'm a little at a loss for what you are calling a pork shoulder roast. For some reason I cannot connect your images with that name.

It's a regular 3 lb. boneless butt, sliced in half horizontally. I end up with two 1.5 lb pieces. Thats why the narrow cut.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Vampyr

coyote

MWS,
      I'm getting right on that ! If it taste just half as good as it looks , I'll be the hit of hits at deer camp!

Coyote

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tim on October 17, 2006, 12:33:23 AM
What is MTQ?

MTQ stands for Morton's Tender Quick. It's a cure that is made by Morton Salt Co., and comes in three varieties; original, sugar, and smoke (or hickory; I can't remember). Word of caution, don't buy the smoke flavored one if you intend of smoking your cured product.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)