BACON: Project Jalepeno

Started by MallardWacker, August 10, 2004, 03:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

Well I started this project last Friday night with 9lbs of pork loin.

This is what I did:

Cut the the loin up into four even pieces.

Measured out the correct amount of brown sugar cure.

I am using two Zip Lock brand semi reusable containers with two portions of loin in each.(That little bit of math was for all us from Akansas.)

Rubbed in the cure mixture and placed in the containers

In one containers for Jalepeno flavoring I used four fresh peppers, deveined and seeded.  I pulverized them in a small food chopper/processor an added them to out side of the meat.(It seems I needed about another two to three peppers.)

The other container I used dehydrated gound Jalepenos that I bought from "The Spice Barn".(great place to fine ANYTHING to do with spices at a good price).  Let me tell you about this stuff, <font color="red"><b><u><i>it is Hotter than H E double tooth picks.</i></u></b></font id="red">  It is also very fine, almost like talc.  Beleive you me, shaking this stuff on the outside of the meat was an experience, just imagine for a moment about sneezing Jalepeno dust.  Not good bubba.  But anyway I dusted the outside of the meat with this wild stuff.

Covered and put in the fridge.

Plan on 21 days of curing time.

What I think I might do is add four more pulverized/fresh peppers to the meat when I turn it half way through.  May add the super dust also depending on what it looks like.

Open for any suggestions.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

whitetailfan

Mallard,
No suggestions yet, just anxiously awaiting your results.  Any specific reason for using loin over butt?  I had it in my head that you used butts for your bacon.  Or is this a special jalepeno Canadian bacon experiment[?]

<font color="red">Edit: Forgot, are you planning a low internal temp or over 150 so you can eat as a cold snack???</font id="red">

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

White,

Good to hear from you.  I was gone last week on a large pile up in Arizona.  The night before I left I added six more crushed/pulverized peppers to the one container.  When I got back Wed night I took a look at the project, turned the meat and added more powdered jalepeno to the other container.  If that flavoring from the powder gets to the inside of the loin, there will not be a man on the planet that will be able to eat it, that stuff is that hot.  I was concerned about fresh pepper container if putting the the peppers on at the very begining, it seems to be OK, however the powdered container meat seems to be a bit firmer.  But all in all no strange growth or smell.  

Why a loin over a butt.  The last couple of butts that I have used has been disapointing on the way it has come out.  The marbleing was way too much and didn't look good to me.  The picture that Olds done with his butt looked great.  The next time I do a butt I will go down and purchase one from a butcher instead of the cryvac ones from Sams.  I know it will be a bit more expensive, but I believe it would be worth it.  Plus when using a loin, it's easier to handle, no deboning, and the size of meat makes a great sandwich size, plus the thicker cuts make a great looking steak for the grill.  I'm a bit lazy some times.

By the way, shoulded your neck be getting a bit thick right about now.  When does the rut come in where you are at, it's usually around mid November here.  Hey, hey hey, early season Teal starts about the 18th of September.  Have a great day.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><br />...the thicker cuts make a great looking steak for the grill.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's how I make smoked chops - cure and smoke a whole loin and then whack it up into individual chops[:p]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><br />By the way, shoulded your neck be getting a bit thick right about now.  When does the rut come in where you are at, it's usually around mid November here.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Actually Mallard, my anniversary was this past Sunday Aug 22.[;)]
Oh the deer rut[:I]ya, that's in November as well.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><br />Hey, hey hey, early season Teal starts about the 18th of September.  Have a great day.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Our migratory birds open Sept 8th.  I think it's way too hot to be whacking mallards that early, but...

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Our migratory birds open Sept 8th.  I think it's way too hot to be whacking mallards that early, but....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Something about swatting masquitos and hunting ducks just doesn't seem right to me.  Give me frost on the Ol' mustache and a good cup of coffee THEN I'm feeling it.  Oh ya, I quess you can swell you neck up if it's youre anniversary.  

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

MallardWacker

Dear BACON LOVERS,

Sorry it took so long to post this but too many weird and crazy people have been crashing their cars and it has been keeping us busy.  Here are the results.

I think of comments like:
"That was hit real hard and I don't think it's playable", "BooYa" and "Can a brother get some of that".

On a scale of one to ten, this is at least a nine.  There are some things you make in the BS that are good and then there is the ones that will simply make you happy you bought a BS, this is one of them.   I smoked it this past Saturday and nearly half of it is gone.  My kids are even taking BLT's to school for their lunch. (If you know my kids that past statement you might appreciate better) If my kids like it, I know I hit a home run.  My wife said this morning as walked out the door, "I hope you have a lot of that made".  Yow-zaaa.  So you get my picture here.  To tell you the truth when I pulled the meat out of the fridge, I though I might of made a mistake and wasted 9lbs of good pork loin.

I'm not going to get all weird like someone trying to describe a glass of wine by using terms like; bouquet, body, finish, oak-ee, or fruity but I'll try and describe the flavor.

The first batch was made with crushed jalapeño, about ten or eleven.  To me this was the best.  It was not hot but for those who like the flavor and smell of the peppers this one is for you.  One thing that I am finding out about pork loin, it seems to take flavoring well.  The flavor of the pepper enhanced the flavor of the meat and cure but did not overtake nor was it a dominate flavor but just enough there to enjoy it and make it different.  Excellent!

The second batch was coated with dehydrated jalapeño pepper dust.  This still turned out great.  It was bit hotter but it did not make you go running for a glass of water, maybe a little heat around the lips type thing.  My kids even liked, but it was not their favorite.  This did not have the "bouquet" of the fresh pepper but still good.

Bottom line; if you wanted to give this away or use as a gift (this was my object in this experiment was to find something good for the holidays), use the fresh pepper method.  Overall it was the best and I think it might show off your talents a bit better. When they open the package and smell the jalapeño and pecan wood I'm sure they will be thinking they can't wait to try it.

Cooking method used:

I pulled the meat out the fridge after 22 days, washed real well and soaked in water for 1 hr or so, drained the water and refilled and let soak for another hour.  Washed again, pat dried and let set for another hour.

Put the meat on rack and place in the smoker on the second space down from the top and brought the temp up to 145-150 deg and let cook for 45 min with no smoke.  After 45 min, I turned it up to 200 deg and added 9 pecan pucks to smoker and cooked till an internal temp of 161.  After reaching temp I unplugged the smoker and let set for about a half hour.  Pulled the meat and wrapped in foil and let set on the counter top till cool, placed in fridge.

About the internal temp; truthfully could not tell the difference in the meat from past batches between 145 deg and 161.  All I know is, I can eat this any time I want at that temp with no problems.

Future modifications; next batch(and there WILL BE a next batch), I will coat the meat after I apply the cure with some of the jalapeño dust and may wait a couple of days then add a 15+ crushed and pulverized peppers.  This may add just a little bit of heat to the great smell of the fresh peppers.

Respectfully Submitted,

mike

<font color="limegreen">EDIT: I know this may sounds a bit strange when talking about BACON but my lovely wife brought this up about this batch. She said "You know this is tender and not so tough as you last batch", you know she is right, I think this happened do to the fact of smoking to 161deg.  Really turned out to be a nice touch.</font id="limegreen">
<font color="red">Next Project:  BACON –INTENCE MAPLE.</font id="red">  Il' let you know about the details

<i><font color="blue">Ya, I know I wrote a small novel here but what ta hey, I'm having fun and its better then the alternative</font id="blue"></i>

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Cold Smoke

Sounds great!! I'll be making that very soon. I was kinda crossing my fingers and hoping that that would turn out as planned.

I just smoked about 15 lbs of maple cured pork belly this past weekend. I used 2 cups of coarse salt, 2 Tbsp of cure (instacure #2) and 2/3 cup of maple flavoring (powder form). I let cure for 6 days then pulled from refrigerator- lots of juice. I rinsed the bellies for 15 minutes then let soak in cold water for 1 hr, then drained and let soak in fresh cold water for another hour, patted dry and tossed into the BS with 3 hrs of hickory- I left dry for 45 minutes before introducing the smoke. My previous attempt on a smaller batch (7 lbs)left me with very salty bacon. So this time I cut the salt in half and tripled the amount of meat I was curing AND doubled the amount of time I left soak in water and It's still a bit salty. Is there an efficient way of removing the saltiness now that it's already been smoked?? Can you re-rinse/soak and toss into smoker again?
BTW- with the first batch I used 3 TBsp of maple flavoring- and found that there was zero maple flavor. This time I used much more (2/3 cup) and still no maple taste. This stuff makes my hands smell like maple for DAYS after handling some of it. I'm not sure why the meat isn't absorbing some of it. Should I be draining the juice after a couple of days and then add the flavoring? Am I washing it all away when I rinse?

Oh Great Bacon Gurus (Mallard Whacker and friends)- Can ya help a brother out?

Cold Smoke

MallardWacker

Cold,

It sounds like you are kinda think like me on the maple thing.

But the first question about the saltiness.  I do not use TenderQuick, PraugePowder, other curing salts just as they come from the bag.  I am a little lazy here, for my best results I have always used pre-packaged cure from Buthcher-Packer,specificly there maple and brown sugar cures, it's cheap and all I have to do is measure it out for the amount of weight of meat that I am using.  May I make this point, in my search for the making bacon I have been reminded to measure my cure somewhat accurately.  The typical thing I get asked is"Is that enough cure, sure doesn't look like much".  I am not aquated with other mixures that you discribe, but I know alot of people use the same method that you have referanced.  All I know is, if you think this stuff is but rub you will get salty results.  You might check the amount of cure vs. the weight of meat being used.  I always wash the snot out of my meat when I first take it out, plus using the pre-mixed cure, my results have never been salty, the salt has alway been enough to make you think is cured and does not over power the results. Might look at the amount of time in the cure.  Also I would not worry about the liquid, that is normal. This is just my opinion.

Second question:  Where did you get the maple powder?  Is it natural?  I would be interested in that.

My maple project will be in the line of using maple sugar cure from Buthcher-Packer, then before I put in the fridge to cure I will roll it in pure maple sugar.  I might use zip-lock heavy duty bag this time to keep the sugar in close contact to the meat.  When done curing and rinsing I will apply a generous amount of Grade 2 amber maple syrup and maybe add more maple sugar on the top.  It sounds good to me any way.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Cold Smoke

MW, I got the maple flavoring from a spice place in town here. They tell me it's all natural- it's kind of like a refined maple sugar. They specialize in blending meat cures, spices,  for delis, meat markets, butcher shops etc... I had asked them if they carry the maple cure you spoke of in many previous posts- they told me that many maple cures available from other sources (Butcher & Packer) are simply regular cure mixed with this powdered maple flavoring. It smells great!! So I figured I'd buy the cure and the maple flavoring and mix them myself. BTW- the recipe I've been kinda following is from that Great Sausages Recipes book. Looked real simple- however if I use the amount of salt that his recipe calls for I end up with very salty bacon. So last time I cut it way down but still a little salty for me and the family. I guess I'll cut it down again some next time.

RANT-I have ordered from Butcher and Packer since- but I'm hesitant to order from there due to UPS' outrageous "brokerage fee" they nail me with once the package gets to my door. Now that's BS and I don't mean Bradley Smoker- I mean the stuff you find on the bottom of your cowboy boots. I feel my blood pressure rising[}:)][:(!][xx(].....My last order from Butcher & Packer was about $50 US (for my sausage experiments -coming soon) and they ding me for another $48 Cdn. All this to say that I would order your special made stuff from B&P but the end costs make it prohibitive.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My maple project will be in the line of using maple sugar cure from Buthcher-Packer, then before I put in the fridge to cure I will roll it in pure maple sugar. I might use zip-lock heavy duty bag this time to keep the sugar in close contact to the meat. When done curing and rinsing I will apply a generous amount of Grade 2 amber maple syrup and maybe add more maple sugar on the top. It sounds good to me any way.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mmmmm- maple....Will definately cover in maple syrup/sugar next time before it hits the smoke.[:D][:p][:p][^]

Cold Smoke

MallardWacker

Can you say [:0]"Bend Over"[:0] or what.  Man, I am sorry.  You might call B&P to see if they can ship normal postal service or maybe any other??  They really have great product and if you need good butcher type knifes, they have great deals also.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

Cold Smoke,
Sorry to hear the UPS shafts people that way.  Would definitely ask about other means of shipping.  Those charges make for some expensive eats.

Mallard Wacker,
You have me dying to try one of these pork loins.  I looked at the B&P cures.  I didn't see anywhere what size this cure came in.  I could have missed it but would like to know proportions.  Never tried this before.  I also presume the package has some kind of instructions?

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

BigS,

Here is the link to Butcher-Packer curing mixes.
http://www.butcher-packer.com/pg_curing.htm

This is the only directions you will get from the B-P, it is listed on the web.
<b><font color="blue">Complete-nothing to add. This cure is perfect for those that want a light maple sugar flavor and aroma in their product. This cure can be used for dry curing and for cover pickles that do not require over 7 days to cure. Use 1 pound of cure per 1 gallon of brine at 20% pump. For dry rub, use 1/2 pound per 25 pounds of meat. If used for cover pickling, use 2 pounds of cure per gallon."</font id="blue"> </b>
This is the amount I use for dry rub, you can see why folks question me about the amount.  I have had no problems with this amount, the meat comes out nice and pink with that irradencent type shine to it.

Broken down, it comes to this: (please forgive me if this is elementary, I do this for all of us from Arkensaw)Also, the scale I use measures only in 1/10 of pound.

<font color="limegreen">1lb          .32oz or .02lb
 2lb          .66oz or .04125lb
 3lb          1.0oz or .0625lb
 5lb          1.6oz or .1lb
10lb          3.2oz or .2lb</font id="limegreen">

<i>Hay, I know that this does not come out totally exact.  This is smoking and not Newton' 2nd law.</i>

I usually measure them in 2 and 5lb baggies, with this combo I can basicly fit any weight.HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

whitetailfan

Well done Mallard,
So glad to hear that the project turned out good for you.  I was gonna ask for a sample, but by the time I type this, I estimate your kids took the last of it for lunch[:D]
Doesn't it make you feel good when outside critics approve of your creations.  I'd eat whatever the heck I burn if I'm having fun, but when you get good reviews, it keeps you coming back to make more.

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB

MallardWacker

White,

When I bought my BS I purchase A BUNCH of jerky seaonings & BBB stuff from HiMountain thinking I would be making a ton of jerky.  I got to the BBB first and NEVER have touched the jerk thing.  If you were close anough I'd sent you the jery stuff, I think it's just going to sit there.  Any way, ordered my maple sugar and syrup yesturday for the next project.  Have a great weekend.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas