cold smoking brisket

Started by rogerycms, November 23, 2006, 04:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerycms

I have used the Bradley for smoking and cooking Brisket (or corned beef).

I wonder if I can cold smoke them and then wrap them in foil and finish in the oven to speed up things?

I will appreciate comments/suggestions!

Roger

West Coast Kansan

You certainly can. The question I have would be if speeding it up would defeat the purpose ie would the brisket still be as good as it comes out of the smoker after the extended period.  Speed may be your enemy with brisket, which likes the time to become tender.  Never tried it so cant say.  I do presmoke a lot of meats and cook/grill later since i have had the Bradley.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

IMHO- You can smoke a brisket in the BS and then finish them in the oven.  That is actually my preferred method.  I wouldn't say it speeds things up.  It could by using higher temperatures but then you may end up with a new sole to your shoes as well.  I have a digital BS and do not have enought experience with it yet to determine how bad the heat swings are.  I thought by going with the digital it would stay within a few degrees but lack of better components and a stir fan to keep the heat even from top to bottom create a wide variation in temperatures.

For Thanksgiving I make a whole packer brisket and 3 racks of ribs.  Dry rub overnight, 4 hours of smoke, apple juice spray after the first 2 hours and every hour after that till boating.  After the 4 hours of smoke, I placed the brisket in a foil pan and placed it in my convection oven at 220 deg (continuing the hourly spray of apple juice).  Waited until I reached an internal temperature of 180.  Pulled the meat probe out, gave it one more spray, placed foil over the pan and left in the oven.  Since I had to drive to my sisters, I preheated a cooler with hot water and placed the brisket boats in the cooler.  Sliced the flat for the first feast, the cap several hours later for the 2nd feast.  All stayed hot/warm the entire time.  This was basically the FTC approach so many have described here and works very well.  The brisket was almost too tender to slice and fortunatly I brought my own carving knives along so we wouldn't end up with pulled brisket :D.

Low and slow for brisket in my opinion is pretty much a must.  You need the time at temp for the fat to break down, run through the meat, flavor and tenderize it on the way.  If anyone has had a successfull fast approach to brisket, I am sure they will post here and share their methods.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

owrstrich

i have smoked many a brisket all the way in the bs and once finished one off in the oven...

im thinking like the wck...

brisket is a low and slow deal for me 200 to 210 all the way and 220 for the last 5 degrees... when i finished the one off in the oven it was at the 160 to 180 stall and i finished it off wrepped in foil at 210 until 185 internal so i didnt have far to go...

i know some smoke briskets in their bs as high as 230 with good results... however for me... bs or oven... its been 200 to 210... with sometimes a kick up to 220 for the last 5 degrees of internal...

take some photos and post them here so we can see the cloven hooved beast of the pasture as vishnu intended...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Oldman

QuoteLow and slow for brisket in my opinion is pretty much a must.
This says it all in the world of brisket.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

200F / 210F , Low & slow , Brisket = Magic :P ;D You can't beat it!!! :D ;)

ebroussard

Good day all. I am a newbe to the Bradley world with with one smokin under my belt. Thought I would jump in the pool and ask...which wood works best for brisket?

owrstrich

ebro...

my best brisket efforts were with all oak... all hickory... mix of oak and hickory...

they were also with dizzy pig cow lick rubbed and fridged a few days before smoking...

you gotta eat...

owrswtrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Gizmo

I have enjoyed hickory, oak, and special blend.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Oak is rapidly becoming my go to for everything but fish and foul. Funny i used to think hickory for everything - was almost all ever used on chunk smoker. The Bradley has changed things for the better.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

I have used a combination of mesquite and hickory that work well; 3 hours of hickory with 1 hour of mesquite mixed in. I also had good results with pecan.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)