Mac and Cheese

Started by Malc, November 27, 2006, 07:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

I have a good amount of smoked cheddar left from Thanksgiving.  I guess there was just too much other food around.  I was thinking of trying a macaroni and cheese with it.  Anybody ever try it?  Ideas?  Suggestions?  Here is what I was thinking:

Heat some whole milk or cream and add enough grated cheddar to make a fairly thick sauce.  Cover some boiled elbow mac with the sauce in a baking dish.  Cover it all with some bread crumbs and maybe a little more shredded cheese and bake just long enough to brown the top.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

manxman

I have done a macaroni cheese along the lines you suggest and it turned out well, the sauce was made with milk and I seem to remember just seasoning it to taste with some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

I just put some extra shredded cheese on the top and baked..... both my two boys enjoyed it as well as me. Son number 2 who is 5 years old is something of a macaroni cheese connoisseur, one of his favourites!

One of my favourites is smoked cheddar on toast done under the grill with some sweet chilli sauce.  :P :P
Manxman

Malc

QuoteOne of my favourites is smoked cheddar on toast done under the grill with some sweet chilli sauce.   
Mmmmm...that brings me back.  My mom used to do that for us all the time, called it roasted cheese.  Beat the crap out of toasted/grilled cheese any day of the week  :)

Thanks for the suggestions.  Looks like I will be giving it a go tonight.

Malc

Habanero Smoker

I've never tried mac & cheese with the smoked cheese, but I have made some delicious melted cheese sandwiches and tuna melts with it. The trick is the shred the cheese first then heap it up on the bread or over the tuna.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

You guys are making me hungry. :P
I think a good smoked cheese goes with just about anything (except Spam).
I make a Halibut salad spread (like tuna spread) and put it on toast with smoked cheddar and roasted bell peppers then hit it with the broiler for a bit. :)
The mac and cheese sounds real good on a cold night to take the chill off. ;D

IKnowWood

Oh my.   That does sound good.

How about a little more Protien in there.  Like maybe getting some pulled pork, chopped.  Make into small balls and lightly fry to a bit crispy and toss in the Mac and Cheese into a nice meaty Cassarole.  Or substitute smoked beef ground and fried or baked or venison.  Or being brave some Sausage or Salami.

But heck the basic Mac n cheese stuff sounds great.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Malc

Unfortunately, I still haven't made this.  I have been reading up and I may try some bacon in there, maybe not.  I will probably just try the basic first, and then experiment next time if it is good.  I'll post whatever I do.

Malc

IKnowWood

Be careful with bacon in there, unless already cooked.  I have had some Man n cheese that was gressy and it did not taste good overall and the Texture and held together feel was not good.  That's why I thought of crispin the meat
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Chez Bubba

Quote from: IKnowWood on November 29, 2006, 05:30:24 PM
I have had some Man n cheese that was gressy and it did not taste good overall

IKW, you've been around here long enough to know that I can't let a good typo go without responding! :o :o ;D ;D

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Malc

QuoteBe careful with bacon in there, unless already cooked.  I have had some Man n cheese that was gressy and it did not taste good overall and the Texture and held together feel was not good.  That's why I thought of crispin the meat

Good tip, I actually was thinking about pre-cooked, but it is good to know there is a reason.  I don't know about the Man n Cheese, though.  My wife may like it  ;D

Malc

Here is what I did:
2C of milk
3C + of smoked cheddar, grated
1T of butter
1/2lb. of pasta(I had bite size rigatoni)
pepper

1) Cook the pasta according to directions
2) Heat the milk, butter and melt the cheese.  Add pepper to taste.
3) Bring the mixture to a boil.  Lower the heat and reduce to about 3/4 original volume.
4) In a buttered baking dish, layer the pasta, some more grated cheese.  I got two layers. 
5) Pour the sauce over the pasta.  Top with cheese and seasoned bread crumbs.
6) Bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.

A few things.  The flavor was awesome...really cheesy.  I was a little disappointed in the texture.  The cheese did not melt smoothly, so the sauce was a little clumpy I guess.  I don't know if it was the cheese that just doesn't melt well or if there is something I could have dne differently in the making of the dish.  Overall...flavor was a 10, appearance was a 5.

Malc

MWS

Malc,
If you have the 'Smoke & Spice' cookbook, give the 'Aunt Maymes' Mac and Cheese a try. It's my favourite by far. Here's a picture of it with a brisket I did a while back. I'm sure the smoked cheese would put it over the top. :P

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Malc

QuoteMalc,
If you have the 'Smoke & Spice' cookbook, give the 'Aunt Maymes' Mac and Cheese a try. It's my favourite by far. Here's a picture of it with a brisket I did a while back. I'm sure the smoked cheese would put it over the top.
I do, and I didn't even think to look in there.  Boo for me.  Looks good.  The smoked cheese really made it taste good, I just wasn't crazy about the consistency.  I'll have to try that one.

Malc

owrstrich

Smoked spam is one of my favorites.  Two cans of spam per shelf.  Eight cans total.  Rinse well with water and dry with paper towels.  3 hours of oak at 200 deg box.  Remove and let rest uncovered for 1/2 hour.  Slice thin and brown in skillet with no oil or other lubrication.  When crispy remove from skillet and serve with plain yellow musterd.

Wrap the unsliced in plastic wrap and refrigerate for future use.  It will stay good for a decade or two. Then just  Slice thin and brown in skillet with not oil or other lubrication.  When crispy remove from skillet and serve with plain yellow musterd.

Sometimes i open a can of pork n beans and unwrap a spam loaf and them eat cold without musterd but with a sliced raw onion.

If you are making this for guests such as for Christmas or to impress the inlaw's family you can get away with 4 cans per shelf.  16 cans total feeds 16 to 20 easy.

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

MWS

Quote from: Malc on December 01, 2006, 10:22:02 AM
I just wasn't crazy about the consistency.  I'll have to try that one.

Malc

I used to make mac & cheese similar to your recipe, but I would make a butter and flour rue (sp.?) and cook in with the milk and cheese. This made for a nice creamy consistency.  I like the S&S recipe because it comes out creamy due to the condensed milk and buttermilk.

EDIT: By the way.....what exactly is Spam made of  ???
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"