Mac and Cheese

Started by Malc, November 27, 2006, 07:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

Yep, a rue would have helped for sure.  Next time.  Looks like I have to smoke some more cheese.  I'd really like to try this with a little pepper jack melted in there too.  That Smoke and Spice recipe sounds interesting.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Chez Bubba

Quote from: mws on December 01, 2006, 11:11:04 AM
EDIT: By the way.....what exactly is Spam made of  ???

Mike, you really don't want to know, do you? It's one of life's little times where ignorance is bliss. Just sit back & enjoy the scenery. (or flavor)

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Arcs_n_Sparks

Pork

MWS

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

iceman

Quote from: Chez Bubba on December 01, 2006, 06:04:04 PM
Quote from: mws on December 01, 2006, 11:11:04 AM

Mike, you really don't want to know, do you? It's one of life's little times where ignorance is bliss. Just sit back & enjoy the scenery. (or flavor)

Kirk
I think Chez is right on this one Mike. Spam has a shelf life longer than a hostess twinkie and I'm pretty sure that is somewhere around 15 years. :o :D The only thing that lasts longer is the original deviled ham spread. Boy does that bring back bad memories! :D Sure wished I could have had a cold beer to wash it down when I was a kid. :P

ceeuawlsune

Hey Malc - Whatever you do, don't be afraid to use any kind of cheese you want in your Mac & Cheese.  Finding the right combination is part of the fun of creating your own personal M&C.  The roux suggestion is a good one.

Here's what I'd do:

Melt butter in pan, add same amount of flour (by weight, not volume).  Mix thoroughly to combine, and cook over low heat for a few minutes, stirring regularly, until roux smells "nutty" - you're actually cooking the raw flour taste out of the roux.  Remove roux from pan and set aside, but keep handy. 

Wipe & rinse pan, add more butter and saute diced onion until soft and translucent.  Then garlic with some fresh thyme/rosemary/savory/sage/whatever you have that would taste good until aromatic, 1-2 mintues.  Add half-and-half and bring to very low simmer for 20-30 minutes.  Strain, RESERVING mixture, discarding aromatics. 

Put half-and-half mixture back on stove and thicken with reserved roux, adding small amounts at a time, bringing mixture to full temperature (just short of boiling) after each addition.  The roux will not have it's complete effect until that temperature is reached, so one risks inadvertently overthickening their sauce by not heating sufficiently throughout the process.  With Mac & Cheese, you don't have to make the sauce too thick, as you will be adding cheese, which, as you know, acts as a thickener itself.

By the way, you're making a classic sauce to this point, called Bechemel sauce. 

Once your sauce is thickened to your satisfaction, add shredded cheese in batches, the smaller the better, and melt completely before adding more.  Patience helps BIG TIME here.  Season with salt, pepper, a HINT of nutmeg, if desired.

At this point, add cooked pasta and stir to incorporate thoroughly, being very careful not to break the pasta into little pieces.  I personally like to adjust my Mac & Cheese according to my mood, and this is the time to do it.

A few that I've tried:
1. 1/8"-1/4" diced smoked ham with frozen baby peas (one of my favorites)
2. Sauteed mushrooms with a drizzle of truffle oil.
3. Multiple cheeses (I've even done upwards of 10)
4. Crumbled bacon & blue cheese (use very sparingly)
5. Fresh herbs, oven-roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic

The possibilities are really endless.  But the point is, add these alternative ingredients after you've incorporated your pasta into your bechamel, stirring well to incorporate.  Pour pasta-bechamel mixture (with or without additional ingredients) into buttered baking dish, sprinkle with more cheese and bake until brown on top and yummy on the inside.

Good luck...I love Mac & Cheese in case you were wondering.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Drinking at a distance....... 8)

Arcs_n_Sparks

West Coast Kansan

We have 18 replies on Mac and Cheese.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Malc

Make that 19....
ceeuawlsune, thanks for the tips there.  The experiment continues....

Malc

winemakers

the pursuit of the unattainable, the perfect M/C.  It will never end, but after these suggestions, it will start again tonight.

mld :o

iceman

Okay, 21 now. Will this quest never end or are we to rome this wonderful earth aimlessly pursuing what may never be possible? The ultimate Mac and Cheese!!! :o ;D I'm no longer satisfied with the past accomplishments and am forced to keep trying now. Where's Alton Brown when you need him??? ::) :D This could possibly be the very food that unites us all, enjoyed by royalty as well as us common folks. (Alright maybe baby back ribs works too). :P ;D Back to the stove top I shall go with great expectations! ;) (Beats taking the trash out anyhow). Cook on folks!!!

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

manxman

QuoteWe have 18 replies on Mac and Cheese.

Never realised mac and cheese could be such a hot topic!  :)
Manxman

Malc

Well, think about it.  Who doesn't like Macaroni and cheese?  There is absolutely nothing not to like.  It is macaroni, which is good.  It is cheese, which is good.  Even when it is bad, it is still pretty good...it's like pizza and sex. :D ;D :P

Malc

manxman

QuoteWell, think about it.  Who doesn't like Macaroni and cheese?  There is absolutely nothing not to like.  It is macaroni, which is good.  It is cheese, which is good.  Even when it is bad, it is still pretty good...it's like pizza and 0.

My youngest is a mac and cheese fiend..... but he only likes one of the tinned varieties and one of the homemade recipes we have tried . Substitute a different brand or make it slightly diffferently and he picks up on it and complains like mad!  :)

Very true what you said though, nothing not to like. :)

Manxman