bay scallops

Started by parishollow, November 28, 2006, 02:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parishollow

I had folks over for a Ceasar Salad last night. I was going to saute shrimp on the stove as usuall then a had a wild hair and thawed some scallops to put in the smoker.  Alder smoke at 225º for about 15 minutes. Absolutely the best! Next time I will trry the shrimp as well. Shrimps only take 2.5 minutes on the stove but the scallops were going while putting the rest of the ingredients together. 
Andrew

iceman

Quote from: parishollow on November 28, 2006, 02:23:35 PM
I had folks over for a Ceasar Salad last night. I was going to saute shrimp on the stove as usuall then a had a wild hair and thawed some scallops to put in the smoker.  Alder smoke at 225º for about 15 minutes. Absolutely the best! Next time I will trry the shrimp as well. Shrimps only take 2.5 minutes on the stove but the scallops were going while putting the rest of the ingredients together. 
That sounds absolutely great! I've done smoked shrimp, then grilled them and they were fantastic. :)

West Coast Kansan

Were the scallops like, even warm in 15 minutes or did you do more prior to the smoke period.  Love scallops, would like to try different ways - have this mental thing about cooked being good.  Others have posted about eating very fresh and raw.  Trying to deal with that idea.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

parishollow

Scallops, especially the little bay ones don't take anytime at all to cook, in a hot pan less than two minutes if not crowded. They are best tender, not over cooked. These were cooked perfect at 15 minutes but if you want to go longer I would do more than 10 more minutes or bring them in and slide them through a hot pan on the stove, 60 seconds maybe, turning once.
Bringing them in and sliding through the hot pan might also bring some of that smoke into the kitchen air where people usually hang out anyway. Hmmmmm...
Andrew