New to this forum, waiting for my new digital 6 rack..............

Started by russ5000, November 28, 2006, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ5000

Hi all, I'm not new to smoking but I'm new to this unit, it should be here in a few days.  I have smoked many things in my water smoker but new to this type of unit.  Hope I get the hang of it without to much trouble.  I like this forum you all seem like fun people.  I will keep you posted on my experience.  If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know.  ;D

Russ

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: russ5000 on November 28, 2006, 05:21:30 PM
If anyone has any advice for me, please let me know.  ;D
Russ

Welcome russ5000. I recommend telling the spouse that you will be experimenting with the smoker over the next 15 years and moving the adult beverage refrigerator into the garage. Then post and tell us how it's going.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum and congradulations on the Bradley purchase.  I would recommend that you start with chicken or ribs until you get a feel for the time the BS requires.  The BS does almost all of the work.  I like to check my BS frequently so that my wife thinks that I work hard at making the fantastic meat while she does the side dishes in the kitchen.  I hate cooking in the kitchen...  Also, since the smoker takes such careful monitoring, I can drink and not be called on to run to the store for something "important". ::)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Ask lots of questions - everyone wins. Forum is great, lots of perspectives and advice.  Might keep a log of your smokes re: time, temp, ambient temp etc. - real handy when you want to repeat something "just like you did last time" or tweak it just a little. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Welcome Russ5K,
As a newbie myself, one thing you will find is a lot of great advice, experinece and variations on achieving your goal of a great meal.  Check out Old's recipe site for tips on what to do when you get your new smoker (seasoning and first meals).  It helps more than the manual.
http://susan.rminor.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

IKnowWood

Welcome  to the wonderful world of Bradley.

I switched from a Water Smoker to the Braldey like you did over a year ago now.  What I found that helped be understand the differences and work on the items you did on the Water Smoker.  For me it was Turkey, London Broil, Beef Roasts, Chicken Roasters, and BabyBack Ribs.  Preperation is mostly all the same for the food.  The times were different in most cases, Bradley is a low and slow smoke as compared to the some-times erratic water smoker which can get hot real quickly.  You will want to start with a good meat Probe.  Your digital already has a cabinet probe.  Experimentation from there till you get the results you want.  The results are much better in many cases. 

Just keep experimenting, you will find it is amazing and fun along the way.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

iceman

Welcome Russ;
Fire away with the questions. If you don,t ask we can't answer. Watchout for that Chez Bubba guy though. :o ;D :D Just kidding. Remember his name though if you come across anything you need. He is THE MAN when it comes to Bradley stuff. He's pretty much a been there done that guy and chalked full of it (information that is)!Have fun. ;)

LilSmoker

Hi russ5000, and welcome, i'm fairly new here also  ;) but i've learned a lot already from everybody here, it's a real nice community, with many experienced members.

I'm sure your digital BS will produce some great results for you in the future, i have done ribs, chicken, brisket, pulled pork, salmon and even dabbled with some cold smoking. I'm very pleased with my efforts and results, and i'm always eager to try new stuff with the BS.

I would recommend getting yourself 3 Bubba pucks from Kirk at Chez Bubba, they're a real must have with the BS, no waisted bisquettes, and helps to keep the burner plate clean.

Good luck with the BS.............LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

russ5000

Do you ever put a bowl of water in the bottom of the smoker for added moisture?

Malc

QuoteDo you ever put a bowl of water in the bottom of the smoker for added moisture?
As a result of some discussions and advice here I replaced the water bowl that comes with the Bradley with an aluminum, disposable roasting pan.  It works real well for me, as it holds more water and doesn't usually need changed(depends on smoke time).  The only time I add any other pans/bowls is when I am cold smoking.  I will use the bowl that came with the BS and fill it with ice to keep the temps down in the box.  Always put that under the food, though.  Otherwise, the condensation from the bowl will drip on the food.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: russ5000 on November 30, 2006, 06:56:17 AM
I'm one that doesn't believe that using moist heat will result in an end product that is moist. So I don't add any additional moisture, just enough water to extinguish the pucks, and to prevent a possible grease fire.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 30, 2006, 02:02:25 PM
Quote from: russ5000 on November 30, 2006, 06:56:17 AM
I'm one that doesn't believe that using moist heat will result in an end product that is moist. So I don't add any additional moisture, just enough water to extinguish the pucks, and to prevent a possible grease fire.
Ditto Hab ;)

Gizmo

I would add another ditto on the water bowl not adding moisture.  I read some technical article a while back that if I understand/remember that far back (at least more than a minute ago, wait, what did I just write?), the article explained it was not for moisture in the meat but for stabilizing the temperature swings, catching drippings, and maybe some aroma therapy.  I have also read many manufacturers claims that the water adds moisture from evavoration and it provides more smoke penetration.  If you buy the vapor theory, then you are heating over 212 deg (boiling point of water).  They also claim your meat surface would not develop the rich bark developed by the "dry" heat smoke method.  So with the opposing comments, I resign to self testing or just enjoying what any smoker can do to improve taste and just eat it. ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!