Smoke Generator -Adapter Plate

Started by Boybach, November 29, 2006, 12:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boybach

Hello I'm a raw newbie
I am loooking for some advice having just been given a new Bradley Smoke Generator as a birthday present
1. Can I attatch the adapter plate to a PLASTIC bin rather than a cardboard box for cold smoking?.
2. Would I be able to use the bin itself to cold smoke? (it is about 1foot square by about 3 feet high) I have thought about hanging food at the top
3. Would the heat from the generator be too much to prevent cold-smoking?
4. And finally would it be preferable to just use the  bin just as a go-between and pipe the smoke from ther to a seperate box in which to put the food.

Sorry for being so naive but I would really like to get this right and prove to some members of my family I can make good smoked salmon for Christmas. I am in the UK and ambient temps at this time of the year will be around 5 degrees C about 38F
Thanks for any help
Regards to all
Boybach

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

manxman

Hi Boybach and welcome to the forum,

In answer to your questions, yes you could use a plastic bin rather than a cardboard box. I think TomG posted a picture of his setup a while ago that included a plastic bin. Both require setting up in such a way that the heater element does not touch the sides of the cardboard/plastic (obviously!) but I have used cardboard boxes extensively and never had one ignite/burn.  ;)

However I think the heat off the smoke generator plate may create too much heat to cold smoke effectively if also hanging the food in the same plastic bin so personally I would stick to the tumble dryer hose set up that presumambly you are aware of if you are aware of cardboard boxes. Better to be safe than end up hot smoking your salmon.

I would use a smallish box / bin as a go-between to a separate box which could, for example, be an old refridgerator, wooden box or barrel. One of my ideas for the future is to try and get hold of an old whisky barrel for such a set up.

Good luck. ;D
Manxman

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Boybach

Thanks Manxman and Wildcat for the welcome.  ;D
Manxman I understand what you say.  I've gone and bought a tumbledryer hose and going to go with the seperate box. I have been going through this fantastic forum for a few days trying to pick up hints and that is how I came accross the seperate box system
Do you have any tips/recipes on curing/brining for cold smoking salmon UK style. I'm a little confused with the type of curing I should do ie do I wet or dry cure. As a complete novice what do you suggest would be the best to start with. It is my intention to do a couple of whole side fillets from a 4kg Salmon. Any idea how long I should brine and how many briquettes I need to load into my smoker. Incidentally I shall be using Oak
Thanks in advance for your help.
Boybach :)

manxman

Hi,

Have a look at the information on the recipe site (link below) which contans a lot of infoamtion on salmon including brining, cold smoking and hot smoking. I have followed spyguys (lox) method to date.

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Manxman

iceman

Welcome to the fun forum Boybach. :) Keep us posted on your smoker set up.

Boybach

Hi Folks
Have finished my first bacon smoke and it has turned out absolutely beyond my wildest dreams - it is fantastic and the taste just like a dim and distant memory. Today I am ready to cold smoke my leg of pork which has been wet brining for 10 days (2kgs in weight) together with 4 whole sides of Salmon (1.5 kgs per side) which have been dry brining for 3 days. (The colour of the pork already looks like ham should look so I am cautiously optomistic)
May I give you all a VERY BIG THANK YOU for your help and encouragement at the outset of a new hobby. Without this forum and your help it would have remained a pipe dream instead of which it has materialised into reality. You and the Forum will be the talk of our festive table and we will certainly drink a toast or two to you all.
Once again thank you and to you all have a Happy and Peaceful Holiday and a Healthy and Happy New Year
Boybach aka Neil

manxman

Delighted to hear that things worked out so well for you Boyback, it's great when a plan comes together is'nt it.  :D :D

Happy Christmas and Best Wishes for 2007
Manxman

Boybach

Hi Manxman
thanks for the greetings and yep it feels rather smug presently. I am beginning to get to grips with other matters now and wonder should I get/need some aluminium pucks and does Chez Bubba mail to UK. Your observations would as usual be appreciated. Thanks :D

manxman

Quotewonder should I get/need some aluminium pucks and does Chez Bubba mail to UK. Your observations would as usual be appreciated. Thanks

The answer is yes and yes! Yes, I certainly would get some bubba pucks (I got three) and yes, Chez Bubba does mail to the UK. I also got him to send me a Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer which is superb and not available in the UK.

He has sent these items to several people in the UK so I suggest contacting him either through his website or through the forum, Kirk is ever so helpful and you can see why he gets people's return business time and time again.

It surprises me that the UK importer does not carry a stock of bubba pucks, sure they could arrange something with Kirk if they tried.

The bubba pucks are great in that over a period of time you save a few wood pucks but the biggest benefit to me is keeping the generator hot plate a lot cleaner.  :D

Don't think you will get them in time for Christmas though!!!!!  ;) :D
Manxman