Smoking Deer

Started by BillyG, November 30, 2006, 08:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyG

Alright everyone.... this is going to be a VERY FIRST for me.  I've never cooked deer, I don't think I've even ever eaten it.

My buddy took 5 deer to the butcher from hunting this past weekend and will be giving me a lot of it.  He'll be giving me at least one roast, probably the butt.  I have no idea what the best pucks would be, I'm heavily stocked on hickory so I'd prefer to use that unless a different flavor will be that much better.  I have no idea how to season it, how long or what temp to cook too.  What temp to cook it at.  And the best way to smoke it.

SO PLEASE!!!!!  As much help as you guys can give will be deeply appreciated!!!

coyote

Hey Billy G,
            Welcome to the world of high speed beef (venison) . Hickory should work fine. As far as seasonings , don't get hung up on the fact that it's venison. Fix it like you would a similar piece of
beef. If it was well cared for from the time of the shot, You got some goooooooood eatin' in store !
Remember , the fat content is next to nothing compared to beef and un-like beef. venison fat
is very bitter. Trim and discard.
                                                                                  Let us know,
                                                                                             Coyote

Smudge

Yeah, trim the venison fat and perhaps replace it with some bacon dripping from above.

I wouldn't overcook it...about 145 would be great IMO. Some kind of garlic-based rub would fit in nicely. You couldn't go wrong with any of the various beef marinades available.

Hickory is a strong smoke, anything more than two hours would be an overkill for my taste. 

BillyG

So 145 internal temp????  220 degree temp in the Bradley, not the meat but the heat in the Bradley???

I have no idea what I'm looking for to tell it's done either, other than taking it to a certain internal temp.

As far as serving it, I'm looking to do a roast for Xmas, so should it be carved, sliced just like you would on say a ham???

You guys are great, I really entering a new world here with deer. (not intended)

Also, he'll be giving me some steaks too.  I like me beef steaks cooked to a medium, medium well, should I be looking for a pink center on the deer steak???

MRH

I did a deer loin a while back and used a leg of lamb recipe that was posted here, took it to 145 deg f internal, it was very good. Pink in the middle.  I think that people tend to overcook deer, me included this was the first time I did it that way  it was better then any other time I had cooked it, which was overcooked I am sure.  A while back on the Iron Chef tv show their special ingredient was venison and everything the cooked appeared to be medium to rare.

Mark

SmokinScott

We had a pretty succesfull hunt this weekend and are looking for some good recipe ideas can any of the pros here help me out.

parishollow

I smoked a venison tenderloin last weekend. Had it cooking at 200º for 3 hours.  Took it out and sliced the end, thought it was dry so I wrapped it in foil and a thick towel then set it on the counter while the pork ribs continued to smoke another three hours. Served up the ribs, sliced the tenderloin about an eighth inch thick.  It was juicy and pink and delicious!!!
I had used fresh ground black pepper, Vegi-Sal, granulated garlic and some japanese chili spices I use for sushi.
I used cherry pucks.
Yumbolicious
Andrew

BillyG

Quote from: parishollow on December 04, 2006, 05:28:52 PM
I smoked a venison tenderloin last weekend. Had it cooking at 200º for 3 hours.  Took it out and sliced the end, thought it was dry so I wrapped it in foil and a thick towel then set it on the counter while the pork ribs continued to smoke another three hours. Served up the ribs, sliced the tenderloin about an eighth inch thick.  It was juicy and pink and delicious!!!
I had used fresh ground black pepper, Vegi-Sal, granulated garlic and some japanese chili spices I use for sushi.
I used cherry pucks.
Yumbolicious

Well guys, I got my delivery a bit late but just picked it up tonight.  They were fresh kills then taken right to the butcher and frozen.  He gave me a bunch of different stuff.  I have a couple steaks in the fridge defrosting now, again being a newbie to the venison world I have no idea what I'm looking at??? 

The reason I quoted Parish here is because I have two different cuts I'm thinking of bringing to the family gathering for xmas.  There's a HUGE roast tjat the butcher labeled "Hind Leg Roast."  I don't believe there's bone and have no idea what to do with it.

I also have two tenderloins, each probably about 3" in diameter and about 8" inches long. 

So to get to my point.....PLEASE HELP!!!!  What do I do with these things???  I can't wait to try the steak though, just going with the Montreal Steak seasoning and firing it up!!!

Norrie

For tender loin, i would try a dry cure 50:50 salt brown sugar for 1 hr then cold smoke for 1hr 45 mins with oak. Then cut the loin into 1.5 inch medalions and cook on a v,hot griddle for about 2min per side or less if you prefer rare. This meet is so tender it wont be a problem.

parishollow

BillyG,
That montreal seasoning is good and tasty stuff, has MSG though if you are sensitive to it. On the venisen tenderloins you can't go wrong with just salt, pepper, and garlic.  Rub it on and let set in the fridge for overnight if you want. You can either smoke them or grill them.  If I grill them I use wet smoking chips on the grill to give the smoke flavor but only cook it to rare or med-rare. In the BS I used Cherry and smoked for 3hours at 200º. Cover with foil and thick towel for an hour or so before slicing and arranging on the table. There is a Rasberry Chipotle dipping sauce out there that is real good along the side.
Andrew

headgames

<,<< eats mostly venison ....All venison or bear I freeze for 30 days before consumption.(a in brain thing I read about a couple of bacterias)....... any steaks I cut about 1" thick  I use a meat tenderizer I think its a DENI  has 48 little blades when you push down in it they all make little slices in the meat .(awsome) well worth the $30.00. Gander Mountain now stocks one that is a generic. that way the steak keeps its form and thickness.( unlike hammering)........  then I fully  coat in olive oil ( seals in juices when seared) sprinkle with montreal seasoning ....... leave lie in a pan till almost room temp .....  fire up my grill on HIGH ....... when they hit the grill  IT sizzles....... about 3 minutes per side ...........  AWSOME >>>>>>>>  never over cook .......I eat mine probaly a little less then medium rare  ;D
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

smokin stu

I smoked up an old buck roast and it turned out really well.

I injected the daylights out of it with apple juice, rolled it in Montreal Steakspice, and smoked it with a pound of bacon on the rack right above it.  The venison was good and the bacon, fried up the next day was fantastic!!!