Smoker Temperature

Started by calsail, November 20, 2003, 04:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calsail

I just did my first hot smoke in my new Bradley.  It was a 3 lb salmon filet and it was incredible. However, when I turned up the heat to get to 180 F it was all the way to high. In this position for 1 1/2 hours I would expect that the heat would get much higher. I am afraid that something is wrong and that if I needed the heat to be over 200 F that I could not get it to that temperature.  The weather was at 65 F outside with no wind so that could not be a factor. ANY IDEAS from anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

n/a

Hi Gary,

I have a hell of a time trying to figure this forum out! I can't even find my questions half the time, but, if you can find the Jerky Cook Time.... Help, there is some good questions answered by Wilber on cook time in the forum, there are two pages so check both out and also Wilber has some good sites you might check out. I did a batch of smoked fish last week and it turned out great, I never had my heat over 150, I don't think you need to try and get as hot as your trying to, are you keeping the biskit heater on and how open are you keeping your vent? I used 6 biskits and had the smoke on for about 5 hours then turned the biskit feeder off and just left it at around 150 for another couple of hours then turned it off and let it cool down until the next day, it's in the mid 20's here but have the unit inside a vented building with a fan on to move the smoke out. I had a full smoker around 20# of Steelhead.

Good luck, Larry M [;)]

woodpen62

Gary:  You don't want to run your temp. to high when doing fish.  Cook it at 140 and finish it for the last 1/2 to 1 hour at 160 degrees.  Too much heat will just dry out your fish to much.  Even when doing meats and poultry I never cook above 210 degrees.  The idea with smoking is to slow cook the food to retain as much moisture as possible.

Chez Bubba

Here here Woody. The biggest attribute to the Bradley smoker is that it CAN cold smoke, even make true lox. My favorite is to cold smoke duck breasts, then cook them conventionally. It's the best tasting meat you've ever had, filet mignon included.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Keiger

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by calsail</i>
<br />I just did my first hot smoke in my new Bradley.  It was a 3 lb salmon filet and it was incredible. However, when I turned up the heat to get to 180 F it was all the way to high. In this position for 1 1/2 hours I would expect that the heat would get much higher. I am afraid that something is wrong and that if I needed the heat to be over 200 F that I could not get it to that temperature.  The weather was at 65 F outside with no wind so that could not be a factor. ANY IDEAS from anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Gary
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Calsail
By chance you dont have the DRIP PAN on top of the heat difuser?  I did this with mine ( my dirictions did not say where to put it) and it keeps all the heat at the bottom of the smoker and the worst thing is it melted the bottom of my door seal and door.
The temp. would not get above 180 because of it.  But the bottom was burning up.  

sacroking

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can order the seal around the door. My father and I was making our first batch of deer jerky and salomi and it got to hot and melted the seal. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me.

stormdiver

I believe Chez Bubba can help with that one you will see his www address here somewhere, believe it is www.chezbubba.com
Scott

Stormdiver

Chez Bubba

Yes, we stock them. You can order online with PayPal or give us a call at (574) 276-8746.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?