best way to pull pork

Started by terryrichards, December 09, 2006, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryrichards

What is the best way to "pull" the pork?  I watched a show on discovery awhile back and they were covering a bbq contest and a guy on there had some bear claw looking things for "pulling" pork apart. Do they work good and does anyone know where to get them?

How long after removing from BS is the optimum time to "pull" the pork? Or what is the best temp? Does it work good if it cools to room temp?

Thanks,

TR

LilSmoker

Hi Terry, the last two lots of pulled pork that i've done were allowed to get to an internal temp of 190 F, then i FTC'd them for 3 hours, then i used a couple of regular forks to pull the pork, i used my hands also. The meat almost dissintegrates, it's very difficult to pull the pork without eating some along the way ;D, so i would suggest not pulling pork when you haven't eaten :o
I have only pulled the pork when it's hot, i think letting it cool would make the pulling more difficult?

Hope this helps  ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Habanero Smoker

They go by many names, Bear Claws, Meat Claws, Pork Pullers. I got mine from this place, but I have also seen them in stainless steel. They work pretty good when the pork is too hot to touch by hand, and you want to get the job done. It works best if you have a high sided tub to shred the pork in; about 3"-6" high. Low sided tubs or pan, I find that the pork often ends up on the table or floor when shredding. I find myself finishing by using my hands, but over all they make the job faster. Going to this site, you will see there are other uses for the claws.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2540

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

owrstrich

i have done it 2 ways... there are butt shreders... bear claws... made for the pig... i aint got a set yet but they are on the list...

1st way is to ftc at 190 internal... ftc a few hours till temp is managable... thow the butt in a large bowl and just pull it apart with yourn hands... it should just fall apart with some coaxing... i use this method for immediate grubbing... not for bagging for another day...

2nd way is to throw in a large bowl at 190 internal... temp is not managable for hands... use forks to shread... it should shred right away without hassle... please note that i only use this method when using the vaulted vinegar and bagging imediately upon shreding for another days grubbing...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Gizmo

Big forks and hands have worked for me.  You need to have the pork warm as it will not pull as easily if cold..
Hab,
Those meat hooks look mighty awesome.  Weren't those mounted on the fake hand in "Enter the Dragon"?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Gizmo on December 10, 2006, 10:55:34 PM
Big forks and hands have worked for me.  You need to have the pork warm as it will not pull as easily if cold..
Hab,
Those meat hooks look mighty awesome.  Weren't those mounted on the fake hand in "Enter the Dragon"?

I'm not certain if they were mounted, but I am pretty sure they were at least modeled after it :)

Forks do work, but when it's large pieces, one claw grips and hold the meat firmly, and the other will shred it quickly. I forgot to add, they are great for mixing up large quantities of coleslaw, and pasta salads. I tried mixing large leaf salad with them, but that did not work well. I only succeeded in stabbing the salad with the claws.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)