generator hooked up to grill?

Started by Howdee, August 15, 2004, 11:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdee

I was wondering if it would be possible to duct the smoke generator to the bottom of a propane grill. I can't tell from the pics and limited description if the smoke generator is self contained and thefore able to send cold smoke via duct or if the unit requires a another firebox for burning the puc before sending the smoke on. I really would like to be able to use with roticery , control the heat and do the entire process without transferring.

nsxbill

The smoke generator is self contained.  It advances pucks to an electrical flat plate that heats the puck and the puck then smokes.  Every 20 minutes a puck is advanced and pushes the expended puck into a pan of water.  The inside of the smoker has a cathode type lamp that generates heat to heat the inside of the smoker to higher temperatures for warm smokes.

You could stick the smoke generator into a cardboard box if you wanted to, and it would generate smoke.  When we cold smoke with the BS, most put ice in the pan to keep the temp down to around 80 so smoking cheese is in the realm of possiblity.

A rotisserie is really not necessary unless you are turning the meat to expose the item spinning to a heat source.  The smoke goes everywhere there is inside the container it is latched onto.  Some guys have hooked smoke generator inside an old refrigerator.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Howdee

Bill, I saw a pic somewhere of the original BS open. It showed pucs traveling on a conveyor into the smoker box and then falling into the water. You are saying, with the smoke generator unit, that the burning and extinguishing occurs all within that small housing and only smoke travels through the adapter pipe?
Thanks for the help,

nsxbill

The housing fits through the wall.  The pucks are on a mini-conveyor.  They burn, then fall off the edge,  off the conveyor, and into the pan full of water placed below the conveyor which extinguishes them.  Many of us have two aluminum blanks, the same size of the pucks, that make sure that the last puck burns.  There is always room on the conveyor for those two pucks.  Once all the wood bisquettes reach the conveyor, pushed in one every 20 min, the conveyor end/hotplate stays hot, but no more pucks are advanced because there is nothing to push them forward.  The two aluminum ones just sit there until they are removed.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.