A few questions

Started by loujohn, August 11, 2004, 06:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loujohn

I'm thinking about a Bradley and have a few questions, perhaps someone can help me.

I usually do a 6-7 lb Boston Butt requiring 12-14 hours. Can I provide smoke for a couple of hours and continue to cook for the duration?

Can you leave them unattended long periods of time?

How do you clean, I do not see a drip pan?

What is the maximum temperature ?

Thank You

Smokin Joe

Hey Loujohn...

Smoking for a few hours and then continuing with the cooking is no problem with the Bradley.

I do butt's all the time (no pun intended Chez) and have never had a problem with the Bradley losing heat, etc.  As for leaving them unattended, that too is no problem.  Last week I did two 25# pork legs which took more than a day and a half.  No need to really do much else other than let the Bradley do its thing.  Obviously, if you need more smoke than the chute holds pucks, you will have to add, but that is a no brainer.

As for cleaning...my racks, etc. soak for a bit after cleaning and are then put in the dishwasher.  The drip pan and bowl are at the base of the unit and are also dishwasher safe...cleaning is a breeze.

I have seen mine hit temps of around 370F, but I rarely go anywhere near there.  My purposes require low and slow, so I usually top out at no more than 220F...

Hope this helps in your decision.  I might make a recommendation that if you do go with the Bradley, you should order from chezbubba.com.  He gets a tremendous amount of good publicity about his customer service, time for delivery, products, etc.

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

Cold Smoke

Hi loujohn. Yes you can absolutely smoke for a certain period of time and leave item(s) in the Bradley to continue to cook after the "smoking" is done. Yes to the next question as well. Once you've loaded up the amount of smoke you want and smoker has reached desired temp in most cases you should be able to sit down and watch the game uninterrupted or go to grandma's house for tea. Temp might fluctuate some depending on wind, outdoor temp variations but usually not by much. This unit does not have a timer on it so you can't set it to cook/smoke for 6 hrs and it will shut off by itself- you're stil gonna have to pull whatever you're smoking once it reaches the desired temperature/doneness.

There is a bowl below a drip tray that should catch any/all juices that fall- simply pull out bowl and toss any accumulations. By the way this bowl also catches the used/extinguished bisquettes. All trays, drip pans, bowl can easily be tossed into dishwasher to be cleaned- some scrubbing may be required but usually limited.

I believe the max temp I've reached was approx 350f -when unit was empty. Now if the Bradley is loaded it may take a shortwhile  to reach desired temp (most smoking is done at temps 225f and below). I don't usualy smoke 40lbs of stuff at a time but I've never have a problem getting the unit to 225f. And I live in the great white north.

Hope this helps some. Good luck. You won't regret getting the Bradley.

Oh yeah- Make sure you get it from www.chezbubba.com. Top-of-the-line service.[:)][;)]

Cold Smoke

MallardWacker

Lou,

Ditto to folks above.  My typical butt(I usually do two), 12-13hrs @ 220deg til an internal temp of 185deg.  Using four hours of smoke.  I check about half way through, then wait for the temp.  Just set it and forget it.  You will have to do a little preheating, let your meat sit out for a least an hour before you put it in the smoker.  It will take a liitle bit for it to come up to 220 again, but after that, let it rip. HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

The Bradley is excellent, and gives great Butt[;)].  I just did a 12.5lb butt cut in half.  Was in the refer with rub for about 48hrs, out for 2-3 hours getting warmed to room temp, then in the Bradley for 4 hrs of Cherry smoke with a temp 195-215.  

It finished smoking but left smoke generator on for the remainder of time.  It was in about 20hrs (remember the temp very low for a "low and slow" cook), then out at 190 internal temp into foil wrapped in a towel for about 3 hours in a coleman cooler.  The meat was, as they say, smooth as butter...melt in the mouth.  Best pulled pork sandwiches I have ever tasted.

Serve with bubbling light or dark yellow adult beverages...Life is good!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

nsxbill,

WOW,a 12lb butt. Thats not butt--it's booty!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

OOPS! Hat in hand requesting your forgiveness, my first smoked pork roast was a shoulder, not a butt.  But it was still d**n good pork.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

Naw Bill,

In pork terminology, the shoulder IS the butt and the butt is a ham! Makes perfect sense to me.[;)]

Thanks for the recommendations guys.[:)] Note to others: We did not pay them![:D][:D]

loujohn, you will have to empty the drip bowl & refill it at least once if you're doing a 10+ hour smoke.

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

ChefJeff

What they said![:D][:D]

SMOKIN & SPOKEN

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by loujohn</i>
<br />I'm thinking about a Bradley and have a few questions, perhaps someone can help me.

I usually do a 6-7 lb Boston Butt requiring 12-14 hours. Can I provide smoke for a couple of hours and continue to cook for the duration?

Can you leave them unattended long periods of time?

How do you clean, I do not see a drip pan?

What is the maximum temperature ?

Thank You

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Get the Bradley if I can do great smoke butt, ribs,chicken etc any one can. I put my butts on at 12 midnight and take them off at 12 noon. They turn out great. Buy the BS from Chez Bubba. They have a sale on the smoker with I beleive a 60 pak of bisquettes. You will love your BS

BigREDRon

BigRED

loujohn

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />The Bradley is excellent, and gives great Butt[;)].  I just did a 12.5lb butt cut in half.  Was in the refer with rub for about 48hrs, out for 2-3 hours getting warmed to room temp, then in the Bradley for 4 hrs of Cherry smoke with a temp 195-215.  

It finished smoking but left smoke generator on for the remainder of time.  It was in about 20hrs (remember the temp very low for a "low and slow" cook), then out at 190 internal temp into foil wrapped in a towel for about 3 hours in a coleman cooler.  The meat was, as they say, smooth as butter...melt in the mouth.  Best pulled pork sandwiches I have ever tasted.

Serve with bubbling light or dark yellow adult beverages...Life is good!

Bill
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks Bill. Is it safe to let it sit out that long, I would be afraid of it being in the dangerous range, 40-140 degrees. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that meat stops taking smoke above 140 degrees. I know a commercial guy that takes Boston Butts from the freezer to the smoker and adds the rub while pulling, they are great.

John

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by loujohn</i>
<br />Thanks Bill. Is it safe to let it sit out that long, I would be afraid of it being in the dangerous range, 40-140 degrees. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that meat stops taking smoke above 140 degrees. I know a commercial guy that takes Boston Butts from the freezer to the smoker and adds the rub while pulling, they are great.

John
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
John,

In my opinion, the danger range is a non-factor since you're raising the IT to 185-195. If any bad boogies occur during the danger range, they will be destroyed by the high ending temp.

You're commercial acquaintance is exactly that, commercial. He's cooking lots of food to feed lots of people. Although there is nothing wrong with his process, it can be done better. If  you think his results are great, I assure you, with a couple of practices, you can put his Q to shame.[:p]

BTW, freezer-to-smoker in a Bradley would probably take an entire weekend.[:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?