rain protection needed?

Started by Howdee, August 15, 2004, 11:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdee

I was wondering what effect rain or high humidity has on the pucs in the magazine. Do they still burn and advance ok or do they swell, fall apart and clog everything up ,ruining your Bbq timing while your back is turned. Maybe an umbrella over the magazine  just in case, if your not available full time?

Bassman

I Never had a problem in rain or high humidity.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Fuzzybear

I'm assuming that the Bradley is under cover when it's raining!  I think the pucks go thru to fast at every 20 minutes for any humidity to make a difference...I'd hate to be smokin' out in the rain!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Howdee

Fuzzybear, I wish I had a covered area, my question would not have been necessary. One reason I'm interested in this unit is the claimed convience, "no attention needed for 8 hours". Our smokes are often 20 hours or more. While I promise not to intentionally plan a smoke in the rain. Here in the south,where the weather men are underpaid and as a result, not to sharp, and one raindrop is big enough to fill a shot glass, we can easily get hit with a number of short unpredicted soakers in 20 hrs.Thanks for your help.

nsxbill

My smoker's home is under a covered porch.  If you don't have a porch, you will have to make sure the unit is covered.  In the Bradley video, they have a whole bunch of cookers working outside on picnic tables, etc.  They don't weigh a lot.  

Weather, being unpredictable as it is, anywhere in the US, might require you to be home and alert to changing conditions.  A shelter would be required if to protect it if you are going to leave unattended and the threat of rain is imminent.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Fuzzybear

Umm, yeah...electricity and water sure don't mix well.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Howdee</i>
<br />I was wondering what effect rain or high humidity has on the pucs in the magazine. Do they still burn and advance ok or <font color="red">do they swell, fall apart and clog everything up</font id="red"> ,ruining your Bbq timing while your back is turned. Maybe an umbrella over the magazine  just in case, if your not available full time?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Howdee,
You sure you don't have one already.  What you say above, is <font color="purple">EXACTLY</font id="purple"> what happens to a puck if you get it wet.  Happened to me twice now - what a mess.  It has not happened during a smoke, but I've shut off the unit and fogot to clean out the tube and then get hit with a little shower before I was able to clean and cover my smoker.  <font color="blue">Pucks totally break down with water</font id="blue">.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br /> <font color="blue">Pucks totally break down with water</font id="blue">.

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
That's because the adhesion medium is basically Jello. I've never had a problem with light rain but just drop one into a bowl of water & see what happens.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

bsolomon

Of course topping you puck stack with a pair of Bubba Pucks also gives you the added benefit of drizzle protection for the rest of the stack [:D]

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bsolomon</i>
<br />Of course topping you puck stack with a pair of Bubba Pucks also gives you the added benefit of drizzle protection for the rest of the stack [:D]
Damn Barry,

We need to hire you to write our ad copy. Never thought of that angle![:D][:D][:D][8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?