BS door seal question

Started by iahkaferoaster, December 10, 2006, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iahkaferoaster

At the door seal where the "open" label is I have noticed a very steady small stream of smoke coming out. Is this a concerne or a nuance I should get used to?
I hunt, therefore I eat.

owrstrich

sometimes when the vent isnt open enough to allow the smoke to escape the smoke will seep out the generator port or around the door seal...

i would think your vent needs to be opened up to allow the smoke to naturally rise...

some smokes require a fully open vent to allow maximum moisture to be vented... some smokes require the vent to be choaked down...

you will figure it all out with practice... i would open the vent up a bit and keep an eye on the seal... make sure you wipe the seal wit water when done to keep the goo from sealing it shut...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

iahkaferoaster

Thanks. I sort of thought that may be it, but I was not totally convinced. I hoped I did not have a flawed seal. Thanks.
I hunt, therefore I eat.

Oldman

Mine has leaked there from the get - go... no worries.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iahkaferoaster

Thanks. I will look at it as a facet of the BS's character.
I hunt, therefore I eat.

iceman

Quote from: Oldman on December 10, 2006, 02:39:31 PM
Mine has leaked there from the get - go... no worries.
Olds
Yeppers, what Old's said. ;D No biggy.

Gizmo

Not that a small amount of leakage is a terrible thing, but you might want to look at the mounting of the seal to make sure it is flush with the door.  The assembly of some parts may not always be perfect and consistent.  Inspector #12 may not be on the job all the time. :-\
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

SmokeBomb

I've had the same problem with mine (except on the hinge side) since the first time I used it over two years ago. As long as it is producing the food the way you want it, it's not an issue. If you start having to "over-smoke" because of leakage, then I'd look at a new seal or possibly a new door. I checked with the company a door with a seal shipped anywhere in the U.S. is about $90.

manxman

In the UK check out the Grakka website, both complete doors and the door seal itself are available, I bought a spare seal as part of a small list of parts I carry "just in case"!  :)

Black door (no thermometer) = £26, SS door (no thermometer) = £35, Seal only = £4.50.

You can also get a smoke generator advance motor for £8.50 and a new SS smoke generator for £52.

Full list:

http://shop.bradleysmoker.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=4&cat=Bradley+Smoker+Spare+Parts
Manxman

West Coast Kansan

Had a leak at the gasket in the top left corner of the door.  My real concern was all the moisture and a rusty build up right at the corner joint.  I sealed the joint to prevent moisture exposure.  If you use a hair dryer and get the gasket warm and just kind of pull out on it (easy) for a while the material will start to want to stay there.  I tried this and it worked for about 3 weeks and did it again a couple of months ago and it has been perfect since (so maybe a couple of times to break the old memory). Doing not your mothers meat loaf now and not a sign of leakage yet.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)