Game Pie

Started by Dalby Spook, December 12, 2006, 11:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalby Spook

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/old-fashioned-raised-game-pie,1180,RC.html

Hi folks,

Thought any of you hunters out there might like this. I've made it quite a few times but this year all the game is going through the bs for a long, cold smoke. I predict a gastronomic sensation.

The recipe looks scary but I have taken a few shortcuts. i.e. I don't bother making the stock for the jelly. Ditto marinading the meat. Just be VERY careful when you take the pie out of the tin. Here lies heartbreak if it collapses. I also cut the meat very fine. I suppose you could coarse mince it like the pork. Also I think the quantity of cinnamon is way to high. It overwhelmed the first one I did. 1/2 tsp at most

In the UK this is a compulsory addition to the boxing day shoot along with a 1/2 bottle hip flask of sloe gin. Pics to follow.

Cheers

John
I've only been wrong once, and that's when I thought I was wrong. But I was'nt.
A. Einstien

iceman

That looks great Dalby. I'll have to try that next season. All the game I have left is slated for other things this year as I didn't get out on a hunt.

manxman

Looks excellent DS.

Quotesloe gin

We have got 4 bottles on the go from this year's sloes. Shame there are not more of them on the Island!  ;)
Manxman

manxman

Popped round to see DS this evening to pick up a bit of game he had put to one side for me, turns out we went to school together some 30 years ago!!

We had both wondered as such after recognising each others names but is was a pleasant surprise, spent a while putting the world to rights!  :)
Manxman

iceman

Quote from: manxman on December 13, 2006, 02:31:52 PM
Popped round to see DS this evening to pick up a bit of game he had put to one side for me, turns out we went to school together some 30 years ago!!

We had both wondered as such after recognising each others names but is was a pleasant surprise, spent a while putting the world to rights!  :)
Yep Manx it can be a small world. Neat you found an old friend. :)

Dalby Spook

I'm not so sure about small, Ice. You don't forget a guy 6 foot 7 inches tall with curly red hair in a hurry. No siree! 
A. Einstien

iceman

Quote from: Dalby Spook on December 14, 2006, 07:53:58 AM
I'm not so sure about small, Ice. You don't forget a guy 6 foot 7 inches tall with curly red hair in a hurry. No siree! 
You sound about like my little brother. 6'6" 250 lbs.
I'm the runt of the family at 6' 0" All the rest are 6'4" plus.
They call me short stop. :D ;D :)

Dalby Spook

It's the other way round, Ice. Manx is the guy who was first in  line when the growth hormones were issued.
Mean hockey player too.
A. Einstien

iceman

Ah, I see clearly now Dalby. ;)

LilSmoker

Hi Dalby, game pie absolutely delicious!, i haven't had any for years, my aunt used to make a nice game pie, maybe i'll have a go at it in the future
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

manxman

QuoteYou don't forget a guy 6 foot 7 inches tall with curly red hair
QuoteIt's the other way round, Ice. Manx is the guy who was first in  line when the growth hormones were issued.
Mean hockey player too.

Yeah, I overdosed on the tall and was short changed on the dark and handsome!!  :-[ :-[ ;)
Manxman